 Gaming / 1905
1904  |  1906
Subject:
Add a Piece
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.trains, lugnet.events, lugnet.build
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:17:59 GMT

A new game was invented last nite at Billy and Kirsten's house party at the
Cincinnati NMRA/NTS convention...

Basically it works like this: (these rules are subject to cleanup, lots of
people were involved in inventing this, we made it up as we went along, and yes,
alcohol was involved)

1. Everyone in a circle around a pile of pieces (or someone's sorted collection,
or prized models, or ...)
2. Someone starts by putting two pieces together, and passing the "creation" to
the right.
3. On your turn, add a piece and pass it on. You must add it without setting the
creatiou down on the table or ground. You can add it any way you like, stud to
tube, clipped on, hung on, or just placed into a container already on, but there
must be some alignment by which all pieces remain on, and adding it must not
cause anything else to fall off.
4. If the creation falls apart and you can catch all the pieces, put it back
together and keep going (doesn't have to be the same way), but if any hit the
ground or table, you lose. No forcing falls to reorganise though...
5. Creations collapsing while being passed are the fault of the passer, but once
the passer has no hands on it, are the fault of the receiver.
6. On lossage, the entire creation is disassembled and a new one started by the
person who caused the collapse.

Biggest loser loses.

Some variants we added as we went to make it harder:

a. You can have multiple creations working their way around the circle at the
same time
b. They don't have to all go to the right, some can go to the left when they are
started
c. If two creations arrive at the same person (either from different directions,
or because they were dawdling and one caught up), that person has to combine
them together, somehow. After combining, if both came from the same direction,
they go that direction. If they came from opposite, it's the person's choice
which way the combined one goes (which may mean it's about to get a lot
larger!!!)
d. Anyone can start a new one around the circle at any time.
e. You can add more than one piece if they are already together as a model
(someone added a whole subway car hanging on by 2 studs) before you start
adding.
f. No dawdling! Dawdlers get smack from everyone else for slowing things down.

I am thinking perhaps we can play this at BrickFest with the Free Build parts,
but play it as an elimination game, last person left gets a prize (which I'll
provide). The rules may need a little more tuning for use as elimination, so
stay tuned.

It could also be played as a drinking game, when you lose, you drink. WE didn't
do that, we didn't actually need to, for some reason... (Billy and Kirsten have
a very impressive liquor collection which is somewhat smaller now)

There are some pics up on Brickshelf already of some of the creations, people
trying to add parts, stuff in mid fall, etc, and more are surely coming. The
creations you get out of this process are truly strange and amusing, they
usually don't look like anything at all!

People were trying to add the most bizarre pieces they could in difficult to
stay connected ways. Which sometimes bit them as the same creation came around
to them again! To much laughter.

When we started, Billy had a nice sorted worktable. Not any more. Sorry about
that!