 Gaming / 1020
Re: Gaming at AFOL cons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:48:20 GMT

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:3C7AF510.3F00DAF3@mindspring.com...
Christopher Weeks wrote:
Snip>>>

Again, they don't have the staff. If we could get enough AFOLs to attend
a gaming con, we might be able to staff a consignment table in the
dealers room. Con staff could also be approached about the possibility
of part time sales in the gaming room. If they are assured of getting
some take, they might be open to it (there was some stuff being sold in
the gaming room at the SF con I attended here, I'm not sure what
sanctioning it had, but they didn't get run off).

Most gaming companies use temporary sales help for the major conventions and
Lego could ask for volunteers to staff a booth for smaller conventions. Lego
would need a set of guidelines for us to follow for sponsorship of Lego
associated events at a convention. I do not know if they would allow
sponsorship of a gaming venue in context with Lego's public policy against
producing violent toys. The gaming we want to participate in is by its very
nature a wargame, similar the other miniature and board games currently out
on the market. We may need to start another thread to discuss this matter,
so I will stop here.

Most conventions want sales to occur in the dealers room. The convention
organizers collect a fee for the floor space allocated to a dealer and I
imagine Lego paid the GenCon organizers, Andon Unlimited, a fee for renting
the floorspace they used promoting the Bionicle card and board game in the
dealers room. I do not know if Lego promoted a booth at other major
conventions like Origins, in Columbus Ohio

The GenCon booth was a fairly good size space and under utilized in my
opinion. I talked to the staff and discovered they were temporary help used
to promote and sell the game, almost like a contractor. They had very little
or no knowledge of other Lego products, but I couldn't shake the feeling
that they may have had instructions from Lego to only promote and only
answer questions about the Bionicle game itself. I am sorry that I have no
pictures of the displays of huge Bionicle avatars or the display cases
holding Bionicle canisters. The displays were well designed and constructed
and they were an eye catcher. I think Lego was trying to break out of its
shell, because Bionicle is different and a new direction for Lego and I
think that carried over well at the convention. I mean you couldn't help but
notice an eight foot flaming red Tahu.

Now with that in mind picture a minifig army numbering in the hundreds
covering a castle and battlefield. I made my wife nearly faint when I showed
her Pawel's pictures of his armies and said I wouldn't mind building armies
like that. There were dozens of armies just like that in the minis hall for
Warhammer, Five Rings, and historical miniatures. Our minifigs armies would
be no different and at least I wouldn't have to paint them. Yes there are
worse fates than having to build the scenery. A large minifig display would
be just as effective as the Bionicle display.

If Lego decides to promote Bionicle at the major conventions this year then
adding other Lego products would be a small stretch. I would/will drop a
boatload of money on parts by the pound if Lego would make this available at
a venue other than the Legoland park. I know it may not happen but I can
always dream.

<Snip>

I agree. I think a lot of gamers would go ga-ga if we had a continuous
Pirate Game, several BrickWars games, and a Car Wars game (and perhaps a
few other games) thrown in. I've also considered Silent Brick Death
(actually, I've raised that issue before)... At the SF con here in
Durham a year or so ago, there was one person who had bough a bunch of
the HOish scale Star Wars ships from Galoob (Micromachines) and was
using modified Silent Death rules (sounds like it possibly could have
been the same game). Most miniatures gaming is done at scales which
don't show that much more detail than can be done with LEGO.

I would play it.

Before I forget, thank you Frank for starting and maintaining  this thread.
I am extremely passionate about the the idea promoting Lego gaming and the
company of fellow Lego maniacs at a gaming convention. I would enjoy a
BrikWars tournament and long pirate game at a gaming convention since I
could not make the trip to Carlsbad and I have to work during BrickFest this
year.  And thank you Christopher adding your insightful views and ideas to
the discussion. I hope other Lugnetters will join in and maybe, just maybe
we can prepare a proposal to send to Lego Direct for sponsorship of other
gatherings and a Lego presence at gaming conventions.

Frank

PS Dear Lego please bring train parts, my other financially crippling
addiction