 Gaming / 1012
Re: Gaming at AFOL cons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:32:09 GMT

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message
news:Gs3C8x.2wJ@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.fun.gaming, James Seibert writes:

But the big game cons (Gen Con, Origins, etc.) are probably too big • to
work
with on such a project and I wonder if small cons would draw enough • AFOLs out
for travel.  I wonder what kind of turn-out I could get with such a • dual-track
event here in New Jersey?

Stephen Gabriel has run Lego Pirate Wars at GenCon several times and it
would be nothing to run continuous Lego events in the miniatures room. • There
is always open space and tables in the minis hall. As far as seminar • times
and space, I am sure there is enough room to hold  those events. You fill
out an events registration and turn in it in the the GenCon staff.

I was specifically refering to a relationship in which a LEGO gaming area • was
set aside for the whole con and games were kept running in all 14
timeslots.

I don't know if we could set aside a single room, but I know we could set up
a semi-permanent display in the minis room similiar to MageKnight and
Columbia Games demo set-ups. If we could find a good number of volunteers to
GM. The area could run concurrent games a BrikWars and continuous pirates
games. I will try to find more information about setting aside a room.

You know, a small lockable room for storage would do just as nicely as a
large room. My big problem at a con is set-up time.

>I  know I could just register as a judge and run anything (I've done it
many
times), but that's well below the threshold of activity that I was • interested
in.  Three four-hour pirate games and two brickwars events aren't going to • draw
people to GenCon who wouldn't normally go for the games.  But an entire
schedule of four days of LEGO gaming might.  At least, that was my
speculation.

The cost of GenCon would be another factor and the distraction of so many
other activities to get involved with in a short period of time. I am
partial to gaming in general and always view GenCon as a gambler views
Vegas, overwhelming and addictive. There was a booth last year that demo'd
the Bionicle card game and gave away masks for the avatars.

By the way, I have in years past posted notes wondering who'd be at Gen • Con.  I
wonder if an AFOL get-together is worth while?

I would hope so. I brought my figs and material for terrian to last years
GenCon. We played D&D d20 and had a blast. Small group of two sessions.
Someone else had a Lego set-up last year, a small graveyard and chapel,
undead versus ninja. I did not get the persons name and the game was done by
the time I finished my game.

Have you seen the large scale Silent Death game? The ship models are
approximately 6 to eight inchs long and about that wide. I believe we could
do that in Lego.

Chris