 Games / *480 (-5)
Subject:
Gazillion press release clarifies Netdevil layoff rumors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.games
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 04:51:40 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Gazillion press release clarifies Netdevil layoff rumors

By Jef Reahard on Feb. 24th 2011

The NetDevil/LEGO Universe brouhaha that unfolded earlier this morning is officially official thanks to a press release just published by Gazillion Entertainment. Gazillion has formally agreed to sell its development stake in the LEGO Universe MMO to the LEGO Group (the game’s publisher and custodian of the world-famous toy brand).

Most of the LEGO devs, formerly employed by NetDevil (a Gazillion subsidiary), have received employment offers from the LEGO Group and will continue iterating on the game from the company’s Louisville, Colorado studio.

Gazillion is re-focusing its ongoing development efforts into browser games, according to President and COO David Brevik. “The transition of members of our team to the LEGO Group enables us to focus completely on internally-published, free-to-play game businesses,” he said.

Massively.joystiq.com

-end of report-

Subject:
LEGO to Launch LEGO Universe in October 2010
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.games
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:35:07 GMT

LEGO Universe Arrives on October 12

The LEGO Group and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment have announced that LEGO Universe, the MMO based around the incredibly popular building game, will be going live on October 12, allowing a select group of fans to join in the experience before opening the game to all those interested a few days later, on October 26. The LEGO-based MMO can be enjoyed on the PC and the Mac, with the port created by the CiderTM Portability Engine from TransGaming.

All those who are interested in getting the game as soon as possible need to pick it up in official LEGO Stores, at LEGOLAND or using the LEGO Online Shop. On October 12, only those who use these buying options will be able to get into the game with publishing partner Warner Bros. putting it up for sale two weeks later.

Henrik Taudorf Lorensen, who is the vice president at the Digital division of the LEGO Group, stated “Our vision is to provide LEGO fans of all ages with a whole new quality play experience and creative platform, and LEGO Universe will open up exciting new opportunities for fun and expression this October. The dedicated LEGO fan community has contributed to the development of LEGO Universe since the start of the project, and we show our appreciation with the early Founders release.” The game is currently demoed at the E3 trade conference.

The LEGO Group was founded way back in 1932 and is still family owned, despite the global success it has achieved. The main idea behind LEGO games is to develop creative abilities in children who use them. The LEGO Universe MMO will take the idea one step further by allowing players to build anything they can imagine using the basic bricks of the game, while also taking part in an adventure that pits them against forces of corruption that aim to warp the beautiful universe they inhabit.

Softpedia.com

-end of report-

I hope to see a LEGO Universe APP for iPhone/iTouch/iPad in the near future.

Subject:
TT Games Re-Ups With LEGO, Extends Deal To 2016
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.games
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2010 00:32:18 GMT

TT Games Re-Ups With LEGO®, Extends Deal To 2016

March 3, 2010

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has re-upped its deal with toy brick-maker LEGO Systems, ensuring that WB’s TT Games can continue developing titles based on the LEGO property until 2016.

TT Games, the group comprised of developer Traveller’s Tales, TT Fusion and TT Games Publishing, has spearheaded games like LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Batman and LEGO Indiana Jones --a portfolio WB says has sold nearly 50 million units worldwide.

The next title under the ongoing partnership, LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 is set to launch this year, featuring the adventures of the popular wizard and his classmates visualized in LEGO toy form.

“We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to continue the successful partnership between this legendary company and the talented TT Games, which will enable us to further expand our slate of widely recognized, family-friendly games,” says Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group president Kevin Tsujihara.

LEGO Digital VP Henrik Lorensen praised the video games for inspiring kids to play creatively with their physical LEGO bricks “more deeply.”

“We are very excited to continue to work with TT Games because they take a distinctive approach to making games creative, social and non-violent, which makes them a valuable part of the broader LEGO experience,” says Lorensen

Gamasutra.com

-end of report-

Subject:
LEGO® To Market Board Games In U.S. in 2010
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.games
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:46:17 GMT

LEGO® To Market Board Games In U.S. in 2010

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Danish toymaker LEGO Group plans to start selling board games in the United States this summer as it extends its business beyond colorful building blocks.

The company will announce 10 board games at the American International Toy Fair, which begins Sunday in New York.

LEGO will also tout toys tied to movies like “Toy Story 3” and “Prince of Persia,” as well as new videogames under the “Star Wars 3” and “Harry Potter” licenses.

The company sees “tremendous potential” in its North American markets, Soren Torp Laursen, president of LEGO Americas, told Reuters ahead of Toy Fair.

LEGO’s U.S. sales rose 30 percent in 2009 despite a wider pullback in consumer spending. It commands about 4 percent of the nation’s toy market.

Priced between $9.99 and $34.99, the board games, which include “Ramses Pyramid” and “Minotaurus,” will mostly hit store shelves in July. A few will be available online from late March.

The games promise to test memory and logical skills of children as they compete to reach a certain destination.

“We are pretty sure we are sitting on a formula that will be worthwhile for the retailers to support,” Laursen said, citing the success of a test launch of the games in Britain and Germany.

AGAINST THE TIDE?

Even as many U.S. retailers look for growth overseas, Laursen said LEGO was confident of its bet on the United States. A search for value and a sense of nostalgia drove parents to classic toys in the economic downturn.

“The consumer is clearly voting in our favor right now,” he said. “We are getting to the stage now when parents of today’s kids grew up with LEGO themselves. The impact of them having an emotional attachment cannot be underestimated.”

LEGO, whose name originates from the Danish words for “play well,” started as a small carpenter’s workshop in Billund, Denmark, about 80 years ago.

Laursen noted that LEGO saw more growth in toys priced above $30 in 2009, underscoring parents’ willingness to invest in trusted names.

The company can also afford to experiment and take some risks in 2010, Laursen said. It recently ramped up its Mexico manufacturing operations to cope with rising demand.

And unlike past years, when LEGO relied heavily on Hollywood-related properties to boost its business, its core lines of building sets like “LEGO City” and “Power Miners” performed well in 2009.

Asked about his long-term goals for the U.S. business, Laursen said: “I am not going to retire before we have 10 percent market share. That’s a reasonable ambition ... I am 46 and I have no immediate plans to retire.”

(Reporting by Dhanya Skariachan; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)

Reuters.com

-end of report-

Subject:
LEGO® Signs 3-Year Deal With Unity Technologies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.games
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:27:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGO® Signs 3-Year Deal With Unity Technologies

Unity Technologies announced today that it had signed a three-year deal with the LEGO Group, according to which the plastic brick company will standardize on Unity-authored materials for 3D content on LEGO.com.

Unity has has been used for a variety of full-fledged virtual worlds and MMOs, including Cartoon Network’s FusionFall and the upcoming Marvel MMO, but the press release makes no mention of the upcoming LEGO Universe. LEGO Universe will be sold via download or on disc at retail, though FusionFall(1) did the same.

It sounds like Unity might have more to do with the casual games on LEGO.com than the Universe--it’s already the platform for two LEGO games--but the browser-based Unity client could offer a lightweight window to the massive world.

“We’ve invested a great deal of time evaluating technology for the next phase of www.LEGO.com,” said Claus Toftegaard Matthiesen, Technology Manager of the LEGO Group. “We believe that Unity’s flexibility, strength and power will give us scope to create world leading content for our consumers and are looking forward to the cooperation.”

Virtual World News

Unity Technologies

(1) Fusion Fall is part of Cartoon Network.

-end of report-

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact