 Fun / Gaming / 909
Re: [:::]BrickWarz[:::]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 12:39:41 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Richard Noeckel writes:
I believe James Brown’s Lego Wars is a derivative based upon Brikwars.
It’s just a simplified version.

Well only James will know for sure, but JBLW was already out before the
first time BrikWars became widely-publicized in 1998.  Though the two games
now have some similar elements, these didn't show up in BrikWars until 2000
so I would guess that any derivation was solely in the opposite direction.

There have been a couple of simplified derivatives based on BrikWars,
including Stephen F. Roberts' laudable MiniFig Death (
http://www.wildlink.com/lego/minifigdeath/ ).

What would be a more interesting question is whether or not the original
Lego Wars had any influence on JBLW.  Copies of LW were hard to come by
between 1995-1998, although a couple of its descendants were still up for
someone who looked hard enough.  There were plenty of other unrelated
"horribly complicated systems for Lego wars" available during that time
period (most of these have disappeared since), but I've never seen any
similar enough to JBLW to suspect any direct lineal descendance.

- Mike.