 Events / NWBrickCon / 206
205  |  207
Subject:
NWBrickCon Animation Competition Review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.animation
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 04:57:58 GMT

Sorry about the delay.  I've had a ton of stuff to do... but here we go!

The Animation Competiton ran as follows: first, my personal film made for the
convention, The Fellowship of the Snake-Fearing Jedi, was shown to set the mood
and give an example of animation.  Next, the actual entries were shown.  First
was Chris Salt's "Out of Time," then "He's Alive," then wanderer's "Great
Inventors: Part 2" and finally "Another Day Another Dollar."

The films were shown projected onto a large wall in the convention.  Stephen was
nice enough to loan his PC for the films, which ran everything with ease, and
Gary provided a wonderful sound system.

By the time the competition started, about 40 people remained.  Everyone inside
came and took a seat, and the films began.

The following notable things happened during each film:

The audience reacted to The Fellowship with lots of laughter, especially during
the Star Wars shootout and when "May It Be" from Lord of the Rings began to play
at a key point.

Out of Time got some oohs and aahs right from the start because of the great
picture quality, and an even bigger one during the first exterior shots with a
wonderful LEGO city in the background.  Chuckles ensued throughout the Men from
the Past sequences, and a large laugh came when the monkeys began to eat the
Time Travelers.

He's Alive, being a more serious film, had no large audience reaction.

Great Inventors got its biggest reaction when the two heros came down the
mountain in a snowball.

The reactions from Another Day came when the LEGO was used inventively, namely
when the worker takes off his glasses and when he gets electricuted.

Without giving actual numbers, roughly 35 ballots were submitted and "Out of
Time" won by a large majority.

Congratulations to Chris for his win!  He is receiving the Spiderman LEGO
Studios set and a certificate for his win.

I am currently creating a webpage of the entries, and will post when this is
complete.

Thanks to all of our contestants and viewers!