 Events / LEGO World / 63
Re: Pictures LEGO World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.legoworld, lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:22:48 GMT

In lugnet.events.legoworld, Maico Arts wrote:
Hello,

For anyone who didn't or couldn't visit to LEGO World, I have put some
pictures online at http://www.t-hok.nl/lego
Please read the tekst: when viewing a full (original) picture, it does take
time before it is uploaded to you!

Greetings
    Maico Arts

Hi!

I'm sorry, but i have to mention that this page is quite useless.

On your site (only LW 2004) there are about 600 thumbnails (128x96) with 25
kByte each, in total about 15 Mbyte of data. A thumb with that size can be made
with 1/10th of datasize.

The "big" pictures (640x480) have about 125 kByte each (that makes 75 MByte in
total) which could have been also be done with much less datasize if you would
have used less quality when saving the pics from the camera to the PC.

The bandwith to your site is only about 18 kByte/sec so even if one have a fast
connection it takes about 15 minutes to load the thumbs and a minimum of 2 hours
to look the pictures (including looking time).

When having such a small bandwith it is extremly neccesary to have pics with
very small datasize.

I think the small bandwith is due to cheap costs of the site and could imagine
that there is also a limit of traffic. So think about what would have happen if
say 100 people look at all your pics: 100 x (15 + 75) = 9 GByte...

I don't doubt that there are a lot of interesting pics on your site, but if you
would have invested a little more time doing the site it would be more
interesting for the visitors.

I just looked at the first two pictures an than clicked back.

Regards Ronald