 Events / BrickWorld / 236
235  |  237
Subject:
Thoughts and notes from BrickWorld: Great event!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 00:14:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

You know something was fun when ten days later, you’re still inspired.  I wanted
to say a big thank you to Adam, Bryan and everyone who had a hand in putting
together BrickWorld 2007.    Here’s a list of highlights and memories that might
provide some insight on who and what was there:

1. Adam’s gigantic architectural sculptures were fantastic and wowed visitors the moment they walked in the door.
2. The ball contraption was a big highlight—and as usual—fans tinkered with their modules more than the thing actually ran, but it was still cool to see so many ways one can stir, lift and push balls around.
3. Trains!  I felt that the vignettes within the train layouts were among the best I had EVER seen and I felt that trains and robotics were the two primary themes of the show.
4. MINDSTORMS.  It seemed like there was always a MINDSTORMS build or destroy activity going on.  I especially liked the boom-cam and the foam obstacles.  As in past years, the public loved the SUMO battles and robotics overall.  Similar to the ball contraption, however, I recall seeing someone working on their robot just about every second of the day for the duration of the con.
5. Blacktron Intelligence Agency.  Impressive!  I had seen the BIA in DC before at Brickfest, but the BIA at BrickWorld was just plain incredible.
6. Where was moonbase?  Surprisingly with the exception of the BIA, I felt space was very under-represented.
7. Mecha.  Although Mecha were also under represented, there was a nice diorama of an apocalyptic city under siege with MOCS from many.
8. Micro.  Arthur Gugick put on what was essentially a one man show but pulled out all the stops with awesome renditions of world landmarks.
9. Town/City.  Ondrew Hartigan and several others had some stand alone cityscapes with somewhat of a train theme intertwined, but Ondrew drew crowds to his diagonal street plan and track mod demos.
10. Castle?  Although there were a few exceptions, Castle also seemed under-represented compared to other cons.  While castle items consumed a significant space, I felt the area was more akin to castles under construction and an explanation of castle building standards rather than full-fledged dioramas.   By far my favorite item in the castle area was Bryce McGlone’s flying dragon.
11. LEGO Company support. While I can’t recall all the names of persons from the LEGO Company in attendance, I very much enjoyed Mr. Richard Stollery’s keynote address and the brief time with Steve Witt, Jan Beyer and several others.  One thing is certain and that was that the LEGO Company is clearly behind us adult fans and this type of event.  And of course it was also cool to see the unveiling of the Eiffel Tower and the micro Ferris Wheel sets.  The LEGO Company also did a nice job of always having something going on at their “building” table.
12. Slot Machines!  I very much enjoyed meeting Mr. Ron McRae (sp?) and seeing his working LEGO slot machines.  These were a big hit with many persons waiting in line to visit the ballroom and were a huge hit with many fans.
13. Friends both new and old.  It was great to see many familiar faces and to meet plenty of new folks as well.  Thanks to Rob Hendrix and his handy soldering work, I’ve got a satellite packed with blinking LEDs, and thanks to the friendly brick sellers, I’ve got lots of parts and pieces to keep me busy for a while.

Thanks again to a friendly host team!  I thought Brickworld was a great event
and look forward to an even  bigger event next year.

Ashley Glennon