 Events / BrickWorld / 138
Re: Brickworld - Dirty Brickster Rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 15:00:51 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:

This message is posted on behalf of Steve DeCraemer:

For the rest of the new comers, welcome aboard! What’s Dirty Brickster? I’m glad you asked. If it was happening around X-mas for a gift exchange it would be called something like “Naughty Santa”. But it’s not so it isn’t. But it is still very much a gift exchange. Everyone who wants to join in brings a $10.00 Lego gift. It has to be official LEGO product and the original retail value has to be or add up to $10.00. If you manage to find a $10.00 set on sale for $3.00 that’s fine but if you find a $20.00 set on sale for $10.00 that’s even better. You can also give several smaller things that add up to $10.00 but they should be wrapped in one box, not several boxes. If your giving a actual LEGO set (which most people do) then it should be unopened. If your giving an opened set then it should be at least several years old and have some kind of undisputed value as something of historic value or something a collector would want. If you question if you gift is legit you can always ask me. Your gift has to be wrapped so people can’t tell what it is. You can have fun with this and putting a smaller gift in a larger box before you wrap it is completely acceptable. For those of you flying in and not checking your luggage please remember don’t wrap it before you get here. (It’s an airport security thing) If you can wrap it before hand please do. There is always people running around at the last minute looking for bags and such to mask their gift with. Please come prepared. Wrapping your gift in something odd is always fun, Sunday comics, old Lego posters, aluminum foil (your a LEGO fan, get creative).

I would like to add my $0.02 about this. First, in the interest of full disclosure, I would like to say that I have participated in several of these Dirty Brickster events and have always come away feeling positive about what I ended up with, and have not ever had ill feelings that I got shafted. I have not had the same feeling about what others wound up with.

Please, I would like to stress that this should be a LEGO Product not a LEGO branded product. Please do not bring candy or other food products. Yes, technically you could bring $10.00 worth of LEGO waffles, but it is not a LEGO Product. Would you want $10.00 of waffles that were probably not properly refridgerated?

Second, I would like to stress that you could buy $10.00 worth of Pick-A-Brick from LEGO online or a LEGO Retail store. Please, DO NOT, buy a full cup and remove what you think is $2.95 worth of product to keep. Bring the full cup. Avoid, if possible a cup of the largest elements where you can only fit a dozen or less of the item in the cup.

I think we all agree that it is fun when someone opens that Clikits or Bellville or other “girly” set. In fact, in all the times I have played, this set seems to have gone to someone who WANTED it. So I encourage it. However, make certain it is a set whose value meets the $10.00 requirement. I once saw a Belville set that was only $6.95. NOT COOL! If you want to get rid of a cheap set, throw in another cheap set. Mathematically, 2 sets costing $6.95 is greater than the $10.00 entry.

DO NOT USE EBAY AS YOUR PRICING GUIDE. Just because an eBay seller is trying to pawn off a 1196 Tour de France Promotional Set for $10.00 doesn’t mean that it is worth $10.00. I hope everyone understands that we would like to set the bar of $10.00 at the MSRP or manufacturers recommended price. Now, if you would like to throw in a 1831 Maersk Sealand Promotional Set, that’s okay. It retailed for more than $10.00. Yes, I know it goes for $100.00 on eBay and in BrickLink, but that doesn’t make it worth $100.00. As P.T. Barnum once said, “There’s a sucker born every minute.”

I think the fundamental rule everyone should apply to a Dirty Brickster item is this: “Would I consider this worth $10.00 if I received this item while playing Dirty Brickster.” If you hessitate, then do not contribute it.

Appreciatively and Respectfully,

Todd