 Events / BricksWest / 708
Re: Brickswest animation festival: how was it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.animation
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:57:51 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Todd Thuma writes:
Of the approximately 20 entries shown at BricksWest 2003, only 6 entries,
amounting to less than 12 minutes running time (approximate) of over 110
mintues total running time were shown in this manner. All, and I mean all
attempts were made to convert these animations from computer format to video
format. Since it was imperative that no films be shown through the computer, I
video taped them playing on the computer and then shown on VHS.

Thanks for setting me straight about this (as Jared did in the BrickFilms
forum) though upon reflection, it was of course pointless for me to have
even posted on this topic since I wasn't a participant and it didn't affect
me one way or another.  And of course now I've been lumped in with all the
other "critics" as an ungrateful, trash-talking tarnisher of the community's
image. Makes me doubly-regretful I posted.  I'm sure I'll be in the triple
or quadruple range by the time this thread has died.

I have no choice in the matter. It is simply a matter of incompatible systems,
CODECs, and software. While I can appreciate the casternation that this causes
the animators, I know of no way to do this without some compromise. I can
require only video tape submission, but this greatly increases the cost of
shipment and completion for the animators. I myslef am limited in both the
technical skills I posses and the amount of equipment I can afford.

I understand the reason for all the technical problems that have been
encountered when trying to show files of different formats, etc.  And I also
understand that it's only out of your desire to make these events as widely
accessible as possible to all animators that you haven't dictated one
definite format that all entries must conform to in order to be accepted.
It might be time to do that though considering how "big" these events have
now become.  I don't think you should have to worry about shipping costs for
animators etc.  If they're playing with Lego then they can afford to mail a
videotape.

This inept public display of my videos prejudiced me against even
considering the BricksWest competition.

I am sorry you felt this way, Greg. I wish you had said something sooner. It
has been 9 months since your animation won at BrickFest 2002, and I wish we
could have spoken sooner about your prejudice and trepidation. It might have
influenced the way I conducted the BricksWest 2003 competition.

I really didn't see the point - the damage was already done as far as BF2002
goes.  And even though I knew that the advertised plan for BW2003 was to
convert files to videotape I was left feeling after BF that perhaps it would
be best if I just didn't turn over any of my work for others to display in
public if I wasn't absolutely sure of how they would be presented.

Please if you have any suggestions I am more than willing to listen to anything
you have to say and consider it. I started this because I thought animators
like yourself should have a public forum for having your work presented. I
never want to treat an animator unfairly or "mangle" their work as you have
suggested. I felt terrible about the way things occured at BrickFest and spent
a great deal of time sole searching about the issues that came up. I really
wasn't certain I wanted continue supporting animators, and if my support is not
welcome, I will move on to other things.

Like others, Todd I am appreciative of the efforts you've made on behalf of
Lego animators.  I realize that what occurred with my individual videos was
somewhat the "luck of the draw" in a big mixed bag of stuff that went on at
BF2002.  As far as suggestions that could be made I've started a thread on
the BrickFilms forums on this topic.  I would however agree with the folks
that have stated it here on LUGNET that one of the first steps that could be
taken to cut down on some of the problems is to declare that there is only
one acceptable format for entries.

Greg