 Events / BrickFest / 700
699  |  701
Subject:
Technic/Mindstorms™ competitions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.announce
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 00:01:38 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

The BrickFest organizers are proud to announce the details
of the Technic/Mindstorms competitions to be held as part of
BrickFest 2002.

There will be three competitions, one on each day of the event.

Friday, July 19

The Technic Competition - Scree Runner

In this competition, the entrant will have to construct a vehicle
which can negotiate "off road" terrain. The terrain will in fact be
a huge quantity of Lego parts placed in a giant tray which can
be tilted at various angles. The competitors vehicles must be
able to climb the slope. They will not require remote control
since the climb will be a straight line from bottom to top.

The winner will be the sole surviver of a number of heats taking
place at increasing angles, or if multiple contestants complete
the climb at the steepest angle, the quickest from the bottom
to the top.

Full details of the competitions rules and arena size information
will be placed online on the BrickFest web site within the next
few days.

... and the prizes

1st - 8466 4x4 Off-Roader
2nd - 8735 Power Pack

Saturday, July 20

The Robotics Competition - Crevasse Crosser

In this competition, the entrant will have to construct a device
which can cross a gap between two tables, turn and cross
back over to the starting point. The turning space will be confined
to be slightly less than width of the gap between the tables. The
device must physically rotate its entire structure by 180 degrees
within the confined space before recrossing the gap, not simply
reverse back over it.

The winner will be the fastest device to return to its starting point.
(It does not have to turn around a second time. The competition
will require the devices to be able to be started on cue, since the
competiton will run two devices at a time at opposite ends of the
same two adjacent tables. The gap between the tables will be
on the order of 32 studs. A soft landing just below the gap will
be provided!)

Full details of the competitions rules and arena size information
will be placed online on the BrickFest web site within the next
few days.

... and the prizes

1st - 9709 RCX + HiTechnic Sensor Set*
2nd - 8735 Power Pack

Sunday, July 21

The Sumo Competition - Grand Finale

In this competition, the entrant will have to construct a device
which can push the opponent out of the ring. The ring will be
a 4 foot diameter circular arena. The surface will be white
with a 3 inch wide black edge.

On both Friday and Saturday evenings, there will preliminary
matches for contestants to try their skills against each other's
'bots. Competitors are encouraged to use this as an opportunity
to evolve and modify their designs for the Sunday Grande Finale.

Full details of the competitions rules and arena size information
will be placed online on the BrickFest web site within the next
few days.

... and the prizes

1st - 3804 RIS 2.0
2nd - 9709 RCX + HiTechnic Sensor Set*
3rd - HiTechnic LightBricks set

So bring your 'bots and some spare parts and prepare to do battle!
PCs equipped with IR towers will be available, so you won't need to
bring your own computer. But do remember to bring all your source
code! (Floppies or CDs will do.)

* The HiTechnic Sensors included in the "set" will include an ultrasonic
range sensor, a compass and an IR proximity detector.

In addition to the competitions, there will be a Mindstorms demo room
in which anyone can try out their programming or building skills with
some prebuilt 'bots and a selection of pieces with which to customize
them. This room will house the arenas when they are not temporarily
installed in the competition room during events. This means that
contestants can have access to them throughout the weekend for
their own use and experimentation. There may be some other sample
arenas which although not for use in a scheduled competition may be
useful to try out on.

All questions regarding mindstorms should be sent to mindstorms@brickfests.com
If you are interested in presenting a Mindstorm related workshop, discussion or
event please complete the application for presentation, located at
http://brickfest.com/present.htm

Christina Hitchcock
BrickFest™ Coordinator
www.brickfest.com