 Events / BrickFest / 485
484  |  486
Subject:
LDraw and Brickfest: General summary and comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad, lugnet.general, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:37:33 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi everyone!!

I'm going to give a general summary of how LDraw happenings went at
Brickfest.  Right now I'm away from my computer (actually at Bram
Lambrecht's in Cleveland) so I can't post pictures and write articles for
the site just yet.  And unfortunately I forgot to load my site files onto my
recently reformatted computer so I couldn't do live updates on the site at
the fest :(

Brickfest was awesome.

Meeting the Jessimans was awesome.

The LDraw demonstration went very well.  We had a powerpoint going (for
those of you who saw the webcams of it) and a panel discussion including
Steve Bliss, Bram Lambrecht, Erik Olson, Don Jessiman, and myself.  We gave
a brief history of LDraw, introduction to various software and file formats,
and discussion of topics like raytracing, parts management, and Macintosh
developments.

The Memorial Award presentation went to Steve Bliss, for his outstanding
contributions over the past years and his work continuing James' memory
through LDraw.  The decision to award this to him was unanimous amongst the
LDraw Brickfest committee and the Jessimans.

Hanging out with James' parents was something too amazing for words.  All of
you who got the chance to talk to them know what I am talking about.  They
are wonderful people who love their son so much and are so excited to see
his memory live on in what we do here.  They are very interested in LDraw
and what it means to us, and even learned a lot about how things are done,
from editing to parts authoring, this weekend.  It was tough for me to say
goodbye to them.

Also, Sunday we had a hands-on LDraw session, mostly led by Steve, and
covering parts authoring (the hands-on part) and advanced topics (the
conversation part).  I skipped out on most of that because of low attendance
(most people were raiding the K8 room).

That's all for now.  I will post pictures we have taken and write more
detailed articles for the site upon my return home tomorrow.   Thank you all
for your enthusiasm towards LDraw and for your company and your questions.
And a special thanks again to the Jessimans for making the trip out to meet
us and talk to us.

-Tim Courtney