 Events / BrickFest / 3630
3629  |  3631
Subject:
My Brickfest Report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:02:15 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Brickfest Report

I noticed some people on LUGNET were wanting some news or information from Brickfest 2006. Below is a highly personalized account and impression of my Brickfest experience:

The Venue

This was the first time that Brickfest did not take place at the Arlington branch of George Mason University. Instead, the event took place in Vienna, VA at the Sheraton Premiere. I loved going to GMU in Arlington and as a city, I have to say Arlington is more attractive to me than Vienna. The little neighborhoods, close proximity to metro subway stations and international feel of Arlington was missing for me in Vienna. Walking a block to several neat lunch places was nice in Arlington too. I also liked the GMU building (converted department store with escalators, etc.) and the separation of Lego themes by classrooms and floor levels that Brickfest offered while it took place at GMU.

However, there were many benefits to the new venue and I would assume that for the majority of attendees these benefits far outweighed the loss of GMU at Arlington. The most obvious benefit is having the convention take place in the same place as your accomodations. It took literally less than 1 minute for me to get from my room to the main display area. Not only that, but the building did not close down in the evening like GMU did, so you didn’t have to worry about closing time. The main display space was in the hotel’s grand ballroom and while I personally lament the separation of themes, I can see the benefit of increased co-mingling of people across themes that having people share one large display space allowed. And the display space was BIG! Other incidental benefits were - a great pool for a refreshing dip (although the floating boat theme was conspicously absent -- if BF ‘07 is in the same place, I am bringing some ;), the bar right in the hotel (I did not take advantage, but I believe some people may have ;), and the hotel’s close proximity to the mall that had a Lego store (about 2 miles, I think).

The one disadvantage of the hotel’s space was probably the outlying conference rooms and the rooms the Brick Bazaar took place in because these were some distance from the main part of the event. Still, I don’t think anyone had any trouble finding them. I did wonder about sellers in those far rooms feeling a bit removed from the main part of the action, though.

Overall, the venue was a great improvement for the convention. For me personally, it would have been ideal to have a hotel like this in Arlington, but just for the feel of the my trip outside of the convention itself.

The Fest (PICS!)

The most satisfying part of every Brickfest is seeing people that I have seen from previous years. In some cases, that’s 7 years! It is truly wonderful to see both old and new people at these events. I had the feeling that a lot of brand new faces were at this fest.

The displays are the next most rewarding feature for me. I look at Brickshelf pretty much daily, but to see some of the amazing models from Brickfest live and in 3-D is just amazing.

There were a bunch of vignettes and that was my first stop on my tour through the grand ballroom. Honestly, I have never really cared for vignettes as much as other themes. Seeing something in person is so different from seeing a picture online, though. For instance:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00001.jpg

I had seen this posted online before and thought it was ok and spend probably 30 seconds looking at it. At the fest, I was really able to appreciate the detail in this little model. I could see every part and could view it easily in three dimensions. I probably spent 5 minutes looking at it. In short, it’s a very different experience than viewing the same model online.

There were some great little interior room models at the fest too. This one really caught my eye:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00006.jpg

Someone did some studies of using just a single element to make interesting shapes:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00009.jpg

Interesting building techniques and uniquely shapad buildings were plentiful:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00011.jpg

Microscale was scaled back a bit this year, but what was there was amazing:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00012.jpg http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00039.jpg

One interesting thing that happens at Brickfest is that you see models and building techniques that you may not personally even like, but are so amazingly artistic that you have to conceed that you are seeing something truly great. That happened for me with this model:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00015.jpg

I also saw models that I wish were sets I could buy off the shelf at TRU:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00019.jpg

And every now and then, get introduced to a whole new theme. I didn’t know what Steampunk was until this year’s BF:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00030.jpg

But I was amazed by the theme and the people building it. I also saw models that were weirdly un-Lego to me, but beautiful:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00033.jpg

I was also very impressed with what people do when they combine their interest in Lego with another interest (in this case, a neat game):

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00035.jpg

And the amazing thing people can do when they make a roof to their buildings:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00034.jpg

One night I had trouble sleeping so I read for a bit. I was reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and stopped at the chapter where Harry and Ginny kiss. The next day I saw this model:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00042.jpg

Weird! I did not see it the day before and it was a scene depicting what I had just read. I love when things like that happen.

Were there any space models? Hmmm....

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00044.jpg http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00051.jpg

I didn’t take many pics, but believe me, there was plenty to be wowed by at BF as far as .space was concerned.

Of course, town and train are my favorites, but this post is getting ridiculously long. But check out this train and this trackside building:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00063.jpg http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00060.jpg

And it’s hard to tell why this is so innovative in a picture, but this mosaic used a technique I had never seen before of mounting 1x1 round plates on different colored jumper plates in the background:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00065.jpg

The things you learn are possible at BF!

And who made it all possible? Well, lots of people, I am sure. But here’s the chief:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Miscellaneous/Brickfest/dsc00067.jpg

The Speaker Sessions

I attended sessions on MS Robo Studio, Steampunk, Lego Ads, Stressing the Elements and Brickjournal. I also heard the key-note speech, opening ceremony and awards show. I missed a couple of speaker sessions that I would have liked to have attended because of other distractions (whether people, gawking at models or catching lunch). That happens every year. You can’t see and do everything there is to do at Brickfest. It’s interesting because two people could do almost entirely different sessions at the same Brickfest. The sessions were extemely informative, personal and insightful. I learned “insider secrets” from Jamie at the Stressing the elements session, I learned of a whole new theme (for me) at the Steampunk session and got to see the comaraderie and enthusiasm that those builders share with one another, I strained by brain at the Robo Studio session, saw some wonderful video at the ads sessions and was inspired by Joe’s vision at the Brick Journal session. The key-note speech made me appreciate the company more than I had in the past few months by letting me see its very human face. I was also surprised and delighted by the information we were given about the upcoming hobby train set. The awards show could have been shorter ;) And I would have preferred seeing pics of the models as people came up to accept

their award. But I think it is a treat to see the best builders be rewarded for their efforts.

I also attended a live auction and Dirty Brickster event. My bank account couldn’t afford anything at the auction, but it was fun seeing people get something they had always wanted. Dirty Brickster is always a highlight of Brickfest - it’s just plain fun.

I’m sad to have missed a few sessions Sunday afternoon and the closing ceremony, but had to leave town as many other attendees did.

Summation

I enjoyed going to Brickfest. I was worried at first it would be very different from previous years. It was in some respects, but that was ok. Some elements were better, all elements of what makes a great Brickfest were there and I am so glad I snuck in a late registration. Next year, I will clear my calendar and register early if fate will allow. Would I recommend it? YES.