 Events / BrickFest / 1094
Re: Animation at BrickFest (and Beyond...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:08:56 GMT

Great post, Greg.  And thanks for all the links!  Very informative!  Now on
to my thoughts...

At the first Brickfest, I thought the animation was the best part of the
whole thing.  Sure, I loved the other stuff, but I was excited by Thomas
Foote's presentation and Greg's videos.  Obviously, this aspect of the hobby
led me to start up Brickfilms.com.

It IS interesting to see how far LEGO based animation has come.  Last year,
Thomas and I gave a joint presentation, I showed some videos, and Greg did
the same.

My thanks also goes out to Todd for the comp.  I was debating doing a big
thing much like that this year, but in the end did not have enough time to
justify doing it... if I was going to do it I wanted to do it well, and just
didn't have the time.  But it WAS great to see the audience reactions.  Much
as last year, it is very informative to a film-maker to get a live
audience's reactions to their films.  We have been posting our reactions to
their reactions over at Brickfilms.

Animation as it relates to LEGO is an interesting creature.  It is at once a
similar and yet totally different creature than building with LEGO (building
MOCs).  I think LEGO animation is a great way to expose our hobby to the
"masses".  There is a great audience of people who react positively to the
brick animations, and I am sure it has gotten a lot of people back into
LEGO.  At the least, it shows you can do really cool things with inanimate
bricks.

Sometimes I miss just sitting down and creating for the sake of creating.
It was good to get my love of LEGO back up by seeing all the great stuff at
Brickfest ... a thanks to everyone who brought creations!

Again, thanks to Todd for taking up the animation mantle this year.  It was
great to see the stuff on the big screen!  We have to see more next year!

Jason

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Greg Perry writes:
It’s been really interesting to observe (and be part of) the growing
interest in LEGO-based animation over the last couple of years.  At the time
of the first BrickFest, Thomas Foote and I were the only exhibiting
animators.  Beyond the two of us I hadn’t been able to find more than a
handful of other brickmation videos available on the web (even though I know
there were people “out there” who were doing this).

Now, only two years later, there’s dozens of established animators over in
the BrickFilms community (www.brickfilms.com) and well over a hundred videos
available for viewing.  And with 2002, BrickFest introduced its first
official animation competitions where we were treated to some really
excellent videos from around the world.  And based on the number of folks
that attended the shows on Friday and Saturday nights there definitely
appears to be a growing audience for this kind of entertainment.