 Events / BrickFest / 1055
1054  |  1056
Subject:
Animation at BrickFest (and Beyond...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:59:36 GMT

It’s been really interesting to observe (and be part of) the growing
interest in LEGO-based animation over the last couple of years.  At the time
of the first BrickFest, Thomas Foote and I were the only exhibiting
animators.  Beyond the two of us I hadn’t been able to find more than a
handful of other brickmation videos available on the web (even though I know
there were people “out there” who were doing this).

Now, only two years later, there’s dozens of established animators over in
the BrickFilms community (www.brickfilms.com) and well over a hundred videos
available for viewing.  And with 2002, BrickFest introduced its first
official animation competitions where we were treated to some really
excellent videos from around the world.  And based on the number of folks
that attended the shows on Friday and Saturday nights there definitely
appears to be a growing audience for this kind of entertainment.

I want to thank Todd Thuma for taking on the huge effort of organizing the
animation activities for BrickFest.  Despite the technical difficulties that
we had to endure here and there I thought the presentations were a success
overall.  Things can only get smoother for next year.  I also want to thank
the BrickFest organizers for allowing animation to be featured so
prominently throughout the weekend.  Those of us who are in to this aspect
of the LEGO experience appreciate the support and the outlet for our
endeavors.  Based on postings in the BrickFilms forums, animators were
really excited at the prospect of having their work viewed on a big screen
by an audience of LEGO enthusiasts.  Many of them watched via the webcams to
try and see what was going on.

For those of you who may have attended the various showings of animation
throughout the weekend, I thought there might be an interest in re-watching
some of the videos.  Here are some links that I’ve been able to scrounge up:

Stars Wars Trailer Competition

“Star Wars Episode III: Rise of the Empire” by Jay Silver
http://users.eastlink.ca/~jaysilver/
(Winner of the Star Wars Trailer Competition)

“Star Wars: Last Strike” by Bluntman
http://www.geocities.com/different_wings/swtrailer.html

“Star Wars Trailer” by Brick-tastic! Films
http://www.geocities.com/nmaniatis/bricktastic/films.htm

“LEGO Wars” by Ben B.
http://www.geocities.com/bhbrenn/egoless.html

“Episode 1: The Lesson” by ThomasFilm
http://de.geocities.com/thomasfilm/#film1

Animation Festival

“Metro” by Doug James
http://www.shootinbricks.com/

“DONNIE the MOBSTER: Trouble at School” by Brick-tastic! Films
http://www.geocities.com/nmaniatis/bricktastic/bricktastic.htm

“The Juggler,” “Doorway,” “NK2020,” and “A (Very) Brief History of the
Bushranger 'Ned Kelly' and the 'Kelly Gang'” by Brick-tastic! Films
http://www.geocities.com/nmaniatis/bricktastic/films.htm

“The Clock Tower Trilogy” by Bluntman
http://www.geocities.com/different_wings/bluntmation.html
(Winner of the Audience Choice Award for the Animation Festival)

“Ninja Thief” and “Mummy” by Ben B.
http://www.geocities.com/bhbrenn/egoless.html

“The Mollusk” and “The Evolution of Creation” by Greg Perry
http://www.lugnet.com/~250/brickmation/

“The Gauntlet” by Jay Silver
http://users.eastlink.ca/~jaysilver/

“The Glove” by ThomasFilm
http://de.geocities.com/thomasfilm/#film1

“The Rise and Fall of Lazarus” by Ocap Productions
High (127 MB):
24.70.244.63/TRaFoL-High.avi
Low (59 MB):
24.70.244.63/TRaFoL-Low.avi

These are all the links that I have readily available.  If I find
information for other videos that were shown at the ‘Fest I’ll post those
links also.

Greg