 Events / 722
721  |  723
Subject:
1st NovaLUG Meeting at Truro (NS) Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:36:07 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

We are proud to announce that NovaLUG finally got off the ground and "on
track" on October 19th! Gail Meagher, Lawrence Livesey, my son Arlen and
myself participated for the first time at the Maritime Model Railroaders
Association annual show in Truro.  With just 10 days notice, we planned our
layout via e-mail using Track Designer and decided who would bring what. The
day of the show we all met together for the first time!  Everything worked
like a charm - we got even more attention than the "non-Lego" train
modellers.  Some of them threatened to defect to Lego trains!  We have been
invited to their annual show in Dartmouth on November 16th, less than four
weeks away...

Some of the highlights:  Gail's awesome mountain tunnel, complete with
waterfall and look-off, built in 1½ days.  She also created a special
Halloween monorail which was a big hit with children and parents alike.
Gail also brought along her fabulous VIA Rail dome passenger wagon.

Lawrence presented his extended version of the Santa Fe train, including two
"A" units, one "B" unit, three 10022s and one MOC passenger car.  His "Big
Mac" restaurant was quickly recognized by all the kids and evoked lots of
smiles.  The beauty and precision of Lawrence's custom CN GP9 locomotive was
duly admired by the "connaisseurs" of model railroading.  They could hardly
believe he had built it himself out of Legos.  Obviously, they don't know Legos!

Arlen (all of 9 years old) was the day's main conductor, drawing the awe and
envy of all the other kids who couldn't understand why they couldn't take a
turn.  And last but not least, I brought along my cogwheel railway modelled
after the Pilatus cogwheel train in Switzerland.  That was also a big hit,
if I do say so myself.  Fortunately, the 9V battery held out for the
duration.  I also brought a few MOCs and some old classic train models.

We were really amazed how many people did not know that Lego makes trains!
Everyone asked where they could find them, so next time we will print up a
sheet so we don't have to answer the same questions all day long.  If only
Lego would sell these in stores...

Here's the link - hope you enjoy it as well as we did!  I've got to sign off
for now and start planning our next layout.  Thanks for looking and we
welcome your feedback and suggestions.

Jean-Marc (NovaLUG #1)
Lawrence  (NovaLUG #2)
Gail      (NovaLUG #3)