 Events / 2104
2103  |  2105
Subject:
Brick Testament in Bratislava report; Amsterdam balloon launch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.fun, lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 21:18:54 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi, all.

Back from Europe and the LEGO gallery show in Bratislava, Slovakia, was great fun. I hope to have a full write-up of my experiences there in an upcoming issue of BrickJournal, but if you’re curious, there are some photos from the event online at the website of the SPACE gallery:

(That’s the Little Artists from the UK on the left, curator Juraj Carny in the center, myself, and Slovakian artist Stano Masar on the right; click the image and scroll down on the linked page to see more)

After Bratislava I made my way through several cities in Europe, ending up in Amsterdam where I happened to come across a LEGO event going on at a department store at Dam square. They were giving away helium balloons to which you were supposed to tie a postcard with your name and address written on it. Once released, the postcard that ends up farthest away wins a trip to LEGOland. Here’s me with my balloon, and if you click the photo there’s a link to a short YouTube movie of its launch.

(A windy day to be sure! After what you see in the video, the balloon actually swooped back down into the square and I feared the worst, but just as suddenly it took off again, perhaps heading for a watery grave in the ocean?)

It wasn’t until after I released the balloon that I figured out that what I really should have done is just taken the postcard back to the US and mailed it back to LEGO from California. Of course, my address also being in California would have probably raised suspicions.

Still, this contest seems ripe for exploitation by someone devious and crafty. But maybe the craftiest person who cheats most ingeniously is most deserving of the trip to LEGOland.

Now back to work on the Brick Testament...

-Brendan Powell Smith