 Events / 1942
Re: BrickFest registration fees
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:44:20 GMT

n lugnet.events, Todd Thuma wrote:
In lugnet.events, Thomas Stangl wrote:
Todd Thuma wrote:
From that pile of money a projector was rented at $500 per day plus another $80
for screens for the animation festival and the presentations.

Todd, is that $500 correct??

If so, if there is money left over from this year, I HIGHLY recommend
investigating purchasing at least one projector, as they have gotten
pretty cheap these days, it might even be cheaper to buy several
compared to the rental costs over 3 days @ $500/day.

Yes, the figure is correct. I was told it to me by the AV company directly.

One thing you forget is a lot of cities, states, and facilities have unions or
contractual agreements in place that would prevent us from using our own gear.
In fact I can tell you now, almost with certainty, that there will never be a
LEGO fan convention in Houston. We would be charged by the convention center and
the union to use our own equipment. Even in the hotel convention space due to a
law on the books in Houston (at least the law I was told about in 1998). I
attended an education conference there and I could not touch anything with out a
union person. Not that I have anything againsht unions, but the contract
required that they connect the LCD Projectors to the computers. Most of them
didn't even know how to connect them. I had to talk them through it. Also, they
couldn't touch personal laptops that people were begining to bring to
conventions at that time. So, the presenter couldn't use their laptop to present
because they Union wouldn't connect the LCD, cause that required touching a
personally owned PC and the owner couldn't touch the cable from the LCD.

There are thousands of little policies and issues that come up around this stuff
that most are unaware of until you gain some experience. We are lucky that the
hotel didn't charge us for the use of the equipment we provided. It could go so
far as to charge us for the tables that the train clubs brought. Pretty stupid
and one of the main reasons the location of this Non-profit event is limited to
where it can be held.

Todd

My reply is that it just goes to show that Joe negotiated a very good contract
with the hotel. I cannot believe any other event will be able to negotiate
better prices for a four star hotel room than $89/ night including free parking,
and meeting rooms if certain number of rooms are booked. I hope Christina does
as well next year. And that whoever puts on the one in Calif.does also. Just on
the hotel bill alone, he saved me well over $60.00.

I had tried to get a room at that hotel the summer before, and the cheapest rate
was well over $250--per night.

Anyway, however it works out, I think Geoff has made the most valid point of
this whole discussion when he said:

"FOLKS, we have got to get over this. We do all these things because we love the
brick. I have plenty of friends here in my little town and we do all kinds of
fun social events around here. I don’t go to AFOL events to get more friends. I
don’t need more friends. I go because I want to get together with the AFOLs
because we share a common love for a toy and can often inspire, teach, laugh and
be happy over this common interest.

So I will tell you now, I don’t care who hosts BrickFest, where it is, or how
much it costs, I will show up as long as I do not have a family engagement and
can get time off of work. I will come to revel in other’s work. I will come to
drink a few beers after hours and swap silly stories. I will come to compete in
robotics competitions. I will come to learn more from others. and I will have a
great time. I hope, I beg and I plead for the community to start getting back
into this mentality. "