COMMUNITY CONTEST # 2: Discus
n. pl. dis·cus·es
A track-and-field event in which a discus is thrown.
CC2:Discus Rules, Guidelines and Judging Criteria:
- Community Contest shall run from Sunday, March 21st through Sunday, April
GUIDELINES: The Challenge of this contest is this: to build a robot capable of
shooting a standard-size Compact Disk (CD) for the longest distance possible.
JUDGING CRITERIA: The judges will, with all possible fairness and equality,
judge the entrants to the CC1:Crevasse contest based on the following criteria
(ordered by importance):
- Only LEGO elements allowed (except the CD - you dont need to sacrifice your precious RIS 2.0 CD! If you need a test disc, run down to your local store and get one or two free AOL CDs).
- For this contest no LEGO Remote will be allowed: the robot must be capable of shooting the CD autonomously once the program is started. No human contact or intervention is legal. You are, however, allowed to load the CD into the thrower before you activate the machine.
- Stored-energy mechanisms are allowed, but they must be started/wound/powered *after* the robot has been started (ie they must be activated and filled by the robot itself).
Thus summarizes and ends the Rules, Guidelines and Judging Criteria of the
Second Community Contest (which hereafter may be known as CC2 and/or
- Distance Thrown
The Judge Panel shall consist of five people listed at the bottom of this email.
You must include the following in your entry email:
For this contest you may send entries to the following Hosts: Roboman8
(roboman9@btinternet. c o m), steve62 (stephan.matter@solnet. c h), Nate Pickens
(npickens@sbcglobal. n e t), Mike Thorn (webmaster@roboticsresources. c o m) and
Chris Smith (jodokast@earthlink. n e t).
- Description in a simple text file (no Microsoft Word or Works documents, please)
- Pictures or a CAD file (please keep each picture size under 300KB)
I now announce that the Community Contest #2: Discus is hereby underway and
active! May the best man win, and Play Well!
(For the advanced builders, there is an extra challenge: make the shooter able
to shoot more than one CD in rapidfire style!)
Note: We know you guys are intelligent enough to think of this, but the
necessary caveats apply: Shoot this only in an open space where you wont break
anything or hit anybody. Do not shoot towards people or animals. Etc etc etc.
(this post was made in identical fashion in the LEGO MindStorms Forums. This
contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or probably even known about by the
...and see how far your free AOL CD can really fly. Just a thought really, and
firing those CDs is a better idea than putting them in your computer :-)
Message has 1 Reply:
| ||Re: CC2:Discus|| Mike Thorn|
|The Winners Have Been Found! The First Place Trophy was in the bag in the beginning by Philo, with a very impressive shooting distance of 20 feet! (URL) (C&P URL's to new browser window) The Second Place Trophy, won by just a hair, goes to Leg0-17 (...) (9 years ago, 30-Apr-04, to lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics, FTX) |
2 Messages in This Thread:
- Entire Thread on One Page:
All | Brief | Compact | Dots
All | Brief | Compact