 Dear LEGO / 5213
Re: An alternative open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:57:46 GMT

In lugnet.color, Mark Jordan wrote:
In lugnet.color, Thomas Stangl wrote:
I DON'T agree with this letter...as far as grey/brown color changes are concerned.

To date, TLG has *yet* to give a *valid* reason for the change.  Any reasons given
have been debunked as fluff or outright lies.

Give us the real reason ($$$), and maybe you'll gain a little trust back from those
that are tired of being lied to.

This is a very serious allegation. Please explain which reasons given by TLG
have been debunked as fluff or outright lies.

Well here's *my understanding* of it.  TLG changed the colours because the old
grays and brown did not fit in with their "vision" of the colour palette.  They
tested the new colours with groups of children, and the kids liked it.

After changing the colours, I've heard/read about parents who question the
change.  Adult fans have been split into 3 camps: some are in favour, some
against, and some don't care - with the first group being the minority.  As for
kids (the primary audience), we haven't heard much feedback.

The one thing that doesn't make sense is, why would a company spend money to
make a change, and not advertise it?  Assuming that the change has had no
positive effect on sales[1], does that mean the change was a big mistake?

The only way this would make sense is if TLG changed the colours as a
cost-saving measure, especially given their recent financial situation.  I think
this is the reason a lot of us are looking for.  The naysayers may not be happy
with the colour change, but we'd accept that as a reason.

Please keep in mind that the above is my *opinion* on this issue, so take it for
what it's worth.

-Bryan

[1] Ok that's a huge assumption.  But regardless of sales figures, we can all
agree that the colour change has caused great discontent within the AFOL
community.  Even if our purchases are an insignificant portion of TLG's annual
sales, you cannot dispute the fact that we are a valuable (??), vocal marketing
tool at TLG's disposal.