 Dear LEGO / 4644
Re: 4755 - Knight Bus Colours
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 01:46:46 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Mike Thorn wrote:
   In lugnet.dear-lego, Matthew Miller wrote:
   Hmmm. Kinda like: well, sure, they’re jabbing me with sharp sticks, but at least they’re not red-hot?

Not that buying Lego is like being poked with pointed implements, but I’m not sure of your logic here. :)

Perhaps it’s not the soundest stuff I ever said. :)

You can’t always be perfect. We’ll let it go this time. ;)

   And maybe this was not the place to post this, I don’t know. If it’s not, I apologise. It’s just that I have seen so much of this stuff about mismatched and changed colors in the last two months that if I hear another word I think I might burst.

I’m actually happy that the noise hasn’t subsided. The color ‘changes’ might not be important to some people, but color ‘quality’ issues should be important to anyone who is enthusiastic about this hobby. This is a company that has been known (for decades) for their quality products. Doesn’t the saying go something like, “only the best is good enough?” Mismatched colors within the same set are not good enough. If LEGO bricks were the price of their inferior competition then perhaps it wouldn’t be such a big deal. But the way I see it I am paying a premium price (gladly) for premium quality products. When you buy a Cadillac do you expect the quality of a Pontiac?

   I guess my ill logic was just an attempt to say...let’s be thankful for what we *do* have?

Using your theory I guess the conversation would go something like:

”Hey bud... I picked up my new Cadillac today, do you like it?”

”Um dude... it’s got 3 bald tires and... is that a bicycle tire on the back right side?”

”Yeah, but I’m just thankful its got tires.“

But in all seriousness.

I agree with you and I don’t. :)

We should definitely all take time to tell them when they’ve done a good job. I think there’s been a tremendous improvement in some areas in the last 5 or 6 years. But to backslide and have something like a quality control issue pop up now is not a good thing. We need to alert them and constructively criticize when things like this happen. It just isn’t good business for a company who is capable of better.

   Pete said:
   So put the bricks in your collection, just don’t build anything purple ;^)

Perhaps I’m a bad person to try to make my point, since I have no purple in my collection whatsoever. :)

What’s your favorite color? Would you feel the same if this bus was issued in your favorite color... with the same problem? :)

   I’ll get off my soapbox now and go back to my nice lurking corner...

No... please stay. Please give rational calm input. There’s nothing wrong with us discussing this. I think part of what *might* have gotten some people upset in the last few weeks is how some of the color commentary was being delivered. If this is a forum used by ‘adult’ fans of LEGO then let’s act like that and discuss things in an adult manner. No harm there at all.

All the best,
Allan B.