 Dear LEGO / 3410
Re: Military Lego Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 18:50:03 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Pedro Silva writes:

Maybe a different reason to TLC's attitude (and I'm only speculating) is due
to the fact that Denmark was ocupied by Germany during WW2, and neither the
danes nor the germans like to remember those days (would you like to
remember that your nation had been occupied once?). And knowing the
importance of the german market, I'd say this is one of the historical
reasons. Noone in Germany would buy sets from a theme where germans would be
portrayed as the "evil" guys. Same for Japan, Italy, and some countries in
Eastern Europe (axis' allies). In fact, I'm pretty sure hardly anyone in
continental Europe would like to remember the Wars fought here in the past
century. We are trying to build up a European Union, for heaven's sake!

That would be my guess.  I believe they want to avoid anything
that is classified as "In living memory".  They're really pushing
the boundaries by producing the Sopwith Camel, but of course that's
not available via mass-distribution.  And "ILM" varies from conflict
to conflict.  No doubt sets depicting centuries-old conflict in
the mid-east wouldn't go over too well since everyone there still
seems intent on bangin' and whoppin' away at each other.

On the flip side you could make an extension of the Castle/Pirates
themes for the conflicts between the British/Canadians and USAians
in North America.  Not many people are aware that Canadians
torched the White House (which was white-washed afterwards to cover
the smoke stains, thus "White House"), so it may no longer be
considered "ILM".  However many French-English and Anybody-Native
conflicts here are much touchier subjects..., and I won't even
comment on the Anybody-Native conflicts in the South and Central
Americas...

Ultimately it's probably best for LEGO to stay away from historical
conflicts.  The moment they produce a real identifiable item
(such as the Sopwith Camel), it is immediately identifiable with
a real historical conflict.  However things like generic pirates
and gov't fleet ships are much more anonymous.  The Wild West
army theme may have been a little too close to reality.  Since
LEGO's themes are populated with the concept of goodguy/badguy,
using historical conflicts is not going to be well received from
a toy company.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada