 Dear LEGO / 3406
3405  |  3407
Subject:
Military Lego Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:30:18 GMT

It’s very obvious that military Lego sets would sell like wild fire.   I
don’t think producing a M1A1 Abraham Tank set would promote violence or
portray TLC as a evil corporation.   It would drive sales, and continue to
promote and spread Lego’s into every household in the nation.  And it could
be done in an educational fashion.

Military themed toys are a part of practically ever child’s toy collection.
Why not capture a piece of this market.  Lego’s are loved, and a military
Lego set will be cherished.

Military Lego Sets  (Historical Military Sets) Ideas

Romans
Greeks
US Civil War
WWI
WWII
Modern Military

Imagine just doing WWII sets.  There is such a vast number of Sub-themes
that could be produced.  By nation, by type of machine (planes, ships,
ground units).

While the Knights and Swordsmen of the age of castles is a distant piece of
this planet’s history it’s still a violent and bloody age.   Yet the irony
is that Lego produces these
type of sets.   Does TLG consider the historical and brutal wars of the
ancients less relevant and damaging to children because they occurred
hundreds of years before the likes of Hitler?

War and war machines are reality of this world.  As a toy they will sell,
and sell and sell.   Kids end up using Lego pieces to create tanks, and
combat jets anyway if not modern themed machines, then future crafts of
destruction.    The Sopwith Camel is a great start.  I hope sales of this
rather pricey and less advertised model has demonstrated the appetite for
such kits.

I grew up with the cool space sets of the 80’s and early 90’s.  Inevitably I
would end up building combat jets and tanks from these pieces.    If you
give the child the ability to build anything he can imagine with Lego’s and
sure enough it’s often something of a military nature, why not jump on the
bandwagon and provide beautiful sets of tanks, combat jets, and even naval
vessels.

If I had to pick this first set series of any military to be sold to the
masses it would be a World War II, it would be minifig scale naval planes
from the US and Japanese pacific fleets with authentically dressed minifigs.
And then naturally surface ships from this era.
Wow, imagine a model-team minifig scale replica of the USS Hornet?  I’d pay
399.00 for a set with 4,000 pieces.

M.A Cook
http://www.netpresonic.com/lego/