 Color / 595
Re: Universal Color List...finally
Newsgroups:
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:56:58 GMT

• Dark Stone Gray
• Black

• Transparent Yellow
• Transparent Red
• Transparent Blue
• Transparent Dove Blue
• Transparent Green
• Transparent Clear

Personally, I am surprised at some of the entries on the list.

First, why is MEDIUM GREEN on the list?? It is not even a very common color.
Except for some recent baseplates, foliage pieces, and pieces used in Belville sets, I cannot think of important examples. I vote to retire Medium Green altogether. BrickLink calls this color Bright Green since Medium Green as used in Paradisa sets is long retired.

Dark Green--a color so new that only a few handfuls of parts have so far been available is a GREAT color that I hope stays around forever.

MEDIUM BLUE -- I am surprised this made the Locked list. It is not an important color, IMO. My preference is for Sand Blue. And I sure hope Dark Blue does not get changed.

I am guessing that what AFOLs call TAN is one of the nougat or beige colors. Good. Tan is one of the best colors LEGO has even released. We have only had Tan bricks since 1998. What we call Dark Tan is also a nice color, but so far only appears in rather obscure places like Sports and Racers sets.

The GRAY colors are all a mess. LEGO kept the wrong set of gray colors, IMO. And I really dislike the names “stone” as I do not have any idea what colors you are talking about--there is no such color as stone, AFAIK. BrickLink has the new Grays named properly and the official names are lousy.

The changes to the grays mess up WHITE. What to do now??

Some important, useful colors are missing from the Locked List. I fear some of them have been lost when the color pallette was cut back to 56.
•DARK RED
•SAND RED
•DARK GREEN
•SAND GREEN
•DARK BLUE
•SAND BLUE
•MEARSK BLUE (recently retired)
•LIGHT YELLOW (recently changed)
•MEDIUM ORANGE
•DARK ORANGE
•BROWN (changed 2004)
•LIGHT BROWN (Bionicle Brown)
•DARK PINK

New 2005 LEGO sets will start becoming available soon. I guess we will all have to wait and see what colors have been retired, changed, and replaced.

Finally, a color palette of 56 colors is still too many colors for a toy. I advocate further reducing the color options down to 36 colors, provided those chosen to remain are good choices.

Kevin Salm
LUCNY

Re: Universal Color List...finally