 Color / 243
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 18:13:06 GMT

In lugnet.color, Christian Treczoks wrote:
Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:
If the Design Lab truly wants a  "consistent color palette", they need to go back on
their word in one way or another - either shift white (try it, and you'll REALLY see
some screaming, I'm sure), or shift bleys back.  They have to do one or the other at
this point, or they've failed at the very start of the palette change.
I don't know if I agree or disagree here.  I am not an expert on color.  I have
heard a lot of people argueing over which colors match what, and now I am quite
frankly confused.  It would be nice if someone qualified (like an expert graphic
artist) and unemotional about this could explain it.  (You may be qualified,
Tom, I don't know.)
It is quite easy to make up your mind. Just build something in bley and
white, and see for yourself how it looks like. Several others have
already commented on this, but the best is to see this for yourself.

Yours, Christian

Sure, this would tell me if I liked it.  So, this method is highly opinion
based.  I honestly don't know how much stock to put in it, but there is a real
theory of color that artists use when discussing this thing.

I beleive that most AFOLs who are complaining (myself included) are complaining
becuase it looks different not because we have any added knowledge of color
theory.

While I am not qualified to discuss color thoery, as I am neither an artist nor
versed in that field, I am qualified to discuss people's reaction to changes.
(Psychology based master's degree, if your interested.)  The fact that the bley
and dark bley are noticably different than the old colors means that they will
look different in cobination with other colors.  Do they really match that
pallate?  Maybe they do.  I submit that most AFOLs with a ton of old grey and no
color theory experience are unqualified to judge, because they are too used to
the old colors.

Now, the business impact of that statement on Lego is a different matter.  It's
quite possible that they thought it matches, but never considered that AFOLs
wouldn't be able to see it, because they are too used to seeing the old colors.
Bad move, really, on Lego's part, but many of us agree that Lego was making a
bad move here.

-Alfred