 Color / 196
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 07:52:26 GMT

As several others have stated, I too appreciate your efforts to explain the
color changes. This explanation goes a long way in convincing us there were no
other, hidden reasons beyond esthetical design. It explains the rol of the
Design Lab and the user tests.

However, it strongly begs two pivotal questions:

1)
In *what way* are the revised colors considered to be more consistent with other
colors than the original colors were?
This is the kind of explanation we were looking for and I don't suppose it can
be a bussines secret. (It's not that we're asking chemical formulae for
producing the pigments).
In fact, if there is a clever rationale behind the current choice of colors
which we (and the general public) somehow don't notice spontanuously, it should
make a good publicity topic in marketing.

2)
Did the 'overwhelmingly positive' consumer trial include building with old and
new colored bricks mixed together, or explaining how the new shades would differ
from pieces bought priorly? Was there any survey to explore this perspective?

I understand TLC doesn't *owe* us this kind of explanations, just as we don't
*owe* TLC to buy their product. I also understand this all is crying over
spilled milk, since the answers to above questions won't make any difference to
the impact of the color change.

Still, as we try to grasp TLC's design changes and somehow incorporate it in the
way we enjoy the hobby, it will make it easier if we truely understand the
reasoning behind it. Even if we don't agree with it, we may understand the
reasoning.

Also, I would sincerely like to be able to explain the color change whenever I
talk to parents and kids about my hobby. Currently I can only make them aware of
the change and offer no other explanation than the vague 'color palette & focus
group' statement, which I can not bring across without making it sound really
silly.

Eric Brok
http://home.zonnet.nl/ericbrok/legomind/