 Color / 181
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 01:22:57 GMT

In lugnet.color, Tim Strutt wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   First off, I apologize for bringing this issue up again, but a promise is a promise. I said I would deliver more background info on the color change, and here it is. In an effort to reduce the almost certain flood of responses to this post, please understand that I am only posting the story, and won’t be debating the color change merits. My goal here is to simple share the real story of how the color change to be. Sorry for taking so long to get this out to you. In an effort to be 100% accurate, I wanted to fact check like mad before posting. I know that some people won’t believe this is the “real” story, but if you have a stack of Bibles, I’m ready to swear on them. snip

Thanks Jake for giving us the full story. I am in the camp that appreciates your diligence and suffering to bring the truth to the AFOL community. Whether I agree or disagree (cough disagree cough) with LEGO’s choice, I think you’ve done a stand-up job in delivering information to us, whether we like that info or not. And although some like to shoot the messenger, I just want to say, please don’t take it to heart, and please continue the great job you are doing as Community Liaison. Keep up the good work, and play well.

Tim Strutt

I wouldn’t say we’ve got the whole story, but we do have more of the story. Specifically Jake says:

“As one part of the process of defining this new, long-term color palette, we tested the new color palette with children in the US and Germany. I won’t get into the details of how we actually tested, as I don’t have those details. But suffice to say, the tests came back overwhelmingly positive. ”

We’re still missing the details on how the tests were conducted. I’ll buy the fact that if you put down a brick of the old grey and a brick of the new grey you can point to one and say that one is a nicer color than the other. In which case I’m sure you could easily get an “overwhelmingly positive” response about one color over the other.

However, did anybody bother to explain to the kids that the old color would no longer be avaialable and that if they tried to build something with the old color and new the color the color scheme of their model wouldn’t look right? I’ve heard the argument made that kids aren’t that concerned about mix matching colors but I know when I was a kid if I had a brick that was off-color for one reason or another it didn’t get used and my models didn’t look like they went through an explosion at a paint factory. I’d really like to know if that was explained to them and what their responses were.

Jason Ellis