 Color / 150
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 16:35:58 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote: -snip-

Now, on with the story! First a little background.

The Design Lab is an internal group at the LEGO Company who is responsible for overseeing the “system” aspects of everything the LEGO Company does. They’re the ones that maintain the element library, element history, “own” the element design process (working with others in the company), own and guide the growth of the element library (ensuring the element selection doesn’t get out of control like the late 90s), own the color palette, and many other tasks. Basically, they work to ensure that the system works long term, and is the most robust, consumer (kids and adults) friendly it can possibly be.

Around the beginning of 2000, we found ourselves with a color palette that was growing far too quickly, and far too organically. There wasn’t enough vision put into how we were expanding and adding new colors. The decision was made to apply the same type of thinking we now use in approaching the long term element design process to the color palette. The desired outcome was to create a color palette that would work effectively for years to come, and that could scale easily and correctly. We didn’t want to end up with the same out-of-control color situation as we did with elements in the late 90s – that was a hard lesson to learn, but we learned it well.

This initiative led to a revised color palette. This new color palette included some deletions of low-use colors, additions of new colors, and some tweaks to the existing colors. The goal in all these changes was completely and totally focused on creating the absolute best set of LEGO colors possible.

Jake, love ya like a brother, but these “Design Lab” people need to be taken out behind the woodshed and beaten within a plate thickness of their lives...

So it is pretty much what the AFOL community figured. A small group of people took it upon themselves to muck up something that was working pretty well. Instead of taking the sensible approach -- getting rid of some of the whacked colors that have been popping up like weeds -- they messed up three classic colors...

<sigh>

JohnG, GMLTC