 Castle / 9442
Re: Misnomer: we are all Lego collectors!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:01:10 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Kirby Warden writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jimmy Park writes:

Just wanted to make sure the terminology is correct and we don't stigmatize
the term collector,

uh...if you really wanted to clarify a word, isn't it best to offer the
actual definition of that word?

I can't seem to find my dictionary, but i did find my thesaurus and the
first word it uses to describe "collect" is "gather".

It would seem to me that some of us "gather" lego to build with...

...some "gather" lego to place on a shelf...

...some "gather" lego to sell for profit...

From Dictionary.com:

col·lec·tor (k-lktr)
n.
1. One that collects: a solar energy collector; a dust collector.
2. A person employed to collect taxes, duties, or other payments.
3. A person who makes a collection, as of stamps.
4. An electrode in an electron tube that collects electrons which have
finished carrying current.
col·lector·ship n.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

collector \Col*lect"or\, n. [LL. collector one who collects: cf. F.
collecteur.] 1. One who collects things which are separate; esp., one who
makes a business or practice of collecting works of art, objects in natural
history, etc.; as, a collector of coins.

I digress into Soho to explore a bookstall. Methinks I have been thirty
years a collector. --Lamb.

2. A compiler of books; one who collects scattered passages and puts them
together in one book.

Volumes without the collector's own reflections. --Addison.

3. (Com.) An officer appointed and commissioned to collect and receive
customs, duties, taxes, or toll.

A great part of this is now embezzled . . . by collectors, and other
officers. --Sir W. Temple.

4. One authorized to collect debts.

5. A bachelor of arts in Oxford, formerly appointed to superintend some
scholastic proceedings in Lent. --Todd.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

collector n 1: a person who collects things (e.g. stamps) as a hobby 2: a
person who is employed to collect payments (as for rent or taxes) [syn:
gatherer, accumulator] 3: a crater that has collected cosmic material
hitting the earth 4: the electrode in a transistor through which a primary
flow of carriers leaves the inter-electrode region

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

I find these most interesting:

-a dust collector (doesn't this describe a model sitting on a shelf to a 'T'?)

-One who collects things which are separate; esp., one who makes a business
or practice of collecting works of art, objects in natural history, etc.;
as, a collector of coins (see, collector in the business sense)

Matt (Self-Proclaimed LUGNET King of Citing Stuff©)