 Castle / 6230
Re: To open, or not to open. That is the question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:55:21 GMT

That's good advice.  I find I use eBay as a buyer to get sets I really want but can't
get anywhere else or anywhere else cheaper.  I use eBay as a seller to sell only sets
I really don't want.  If I really don't want a MISB set, it's never because I did
want it in the store but suddenly changed my mind after I brought it home but lost
the receipt.  It's because I found it on discount and might be able to sell it for a
profit that I can then use to buy a set that I really want (sometimes from eBay).  I
think that made sense.

I did go through something similar with the old-new sets I got after coming out of my
DA.  For a while, I didn't open them if they were pre-1995, which is the cutoff year
I figure I won't see this stuff NIB for a reasonable price anymore.  I'm guessing
that's about the year that the whole eBay and collectible toy thing started to take
off, so that's about when people started hoarding sets.  Anything after that, I'm
sure there are stockpiles of MIB sets that'll always be affordable.  I figured, 10
years from now, when all the sets look like Mickey Mouse sets (literally, not just in
the Wayne Gretzky - New Jersey Devils sense), I'll still be able to buy a 6097 for
less than MSRP, so I opened up my 6097s.  But after a while, I decided, I'm not going
to sell these great old sets unless I really have to (knock on wood).  These are MY
toys, and when I'm dead, they're going to my (hypothetical) kids or grandkids, and I
won't care if they use them for kitty litter after I'm gone, so what the heck?  I
opened them bad boyz up!  I made up a 8880, 6289, 6090, and a bunch of smaller sets.
I did make sure to be gentle opening them, not destroying the boxes which I flattened
and put up in the attic so they don't get trampled.  I even took the time to open the
thumb-open boxes without tearing the box.  I did this because I actually like the way
LEGO packages their toys.  I like the cardboard tray, and the pretty boxes with the
little people and alternate models on them.  I like putting my catalogs and
instructions in a book and watching the book get thicker and thicker... [starts to
drool]  Ahem, anyway, long gone are the days when I'd just dump all my pieces into
30-gallon tubs, so I know for sure the newly opened sets will still be in great shape
if and when I do decide to let 'em go.  So that's what I do now.

binky

"Pawel Nazarewicz" <verneer@utk.edu> wrote in message news:G1o34z.EJB@lugnet.com...
  What's your stance on open vs. sealed LEGO sets?  I recently
purchased
  several older castle sets on Ebay.  To my surprise, these sets are in
much
  better shape than I expected with little or no box wear.  It almost
seems
  a shame to open them up, but they really don't bring me any enjoyment
  sealed and shelved.  On the other hand, they weren't cheap either, so
  don't want them to fade in light, etc...

  Anyone else go through this?  What did you decide?

Did you buy them to resell or to play with?  If you bought them to resell,
don't open them.  If you bought them to play with, do it.  It's all a matter of
why you did it ...

My $.02

-- Pawel