 Castle / 4768
Re: Early Castle Wall Components Musings...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 14:29:00 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Richard W. Schamus writes:

I do not believe that the wall pieces we're originally designed to do so. The
outer cover of the cataloge for 1984 shows all three pieces, and not one of
them are put "together." The closest is 6061 and 6073 in the same corner of
the catalog. All three came out at the same time but not one is shown joined
with another.

According to this statement, none of the walls can be put together, even with
each other, as they never appeared in Lego literature connected in any way.  :)

They may've done it so people wouldn't get the false impression that they came
together...

6061 would make sense with 6073 but niether with 6080, because of the base
plate incompatiblity issue.

"One small bit of trivia is that 6081 - Kings Mountain Fortress, has a
connection pin in the appropriate spot for adding to the other sets, it's just
a bit low because it's on a baseplate and not on a full plate. Arguably, this
could be considered as a 9th, but it might be stretching it."

Why did you even *consider* 6081 as a wall component, then?  It should've
failed immediately due to the baseplate problem.  I don't view the baseplate as
a reason to disregard a set, however.  Lego just used the most convenient
building surface.  :)

I've seen no literature, or illistrations directly from TLC depict that they
do indeed go together.

See my first arguement...

Sure, it makes sense to me that they could expand the opened large castles,
but you can only stuff so much into them. No, I have trouble buying into the
idea that this is what TLC intended exactly, with one exception; 6074. It has
open Technic 2x1 beams along the left and right sides of the entire structure
implying that you should hook up your wall components.

I never understood that one *because* of the side pegs.  :)  When I first saw
it, I thought "What the heck is this?  Why would I want to put walls in the
sides when I can just expand the castle?"  ;)

In the 84 catalog from Germany at least, it implies that you should own all
the parts, because "your kingdom isn't complete without a siege tower and a
catapult."

'Tis that mystical magic known as "Marketing," methinks.  ;)

You really can't convience me that TLG intended what you say, though it make
sense for 6073,6074 (inside and on the outside), and the other components.
(6034 being the odd ball).

Nor can you convince me that they were *not* meant to be expanded.  ;)

Jeff