 Castle / 2224
Re: Army size (Castle World)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 00:23:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
Hi all,

Just wondering what people had in mind for army sizes in CastleWorld... Were
people generally going to stick with what their "actual" army size is, or
were people planning on having "virtual" armies?

Here is what I had in mind:

1)  In your realm, inside your fortress, castle, or other military place, • your
army is as reasonably big (key word) as you want it to be.  Be logical.  In • an
e-mail exhange with Dan Siskind, he informed me that his Bloodstone Castle • has
an army of 700 Dragon Masters strong.  This is an awesome force, so I suppose
we could multiply each soldier X 5 to get your Relm Force - 3,500 at the
castle. The multipier is up for debate if necessary.

2)  If he were to go out and explore with his troops, he can take his actual
force (700) into another realm.  The other 4/5 are assumed to be "at home" at
all times.

This would preserve the balance and keep everyone happy in my opinion.

The other option is to simply declare your army.  "Prince Ian has 35,000
footsoldiers" or something to that effect.  But my reasoning is that if you
have plenty of soldiers, chances are that your castles will be big too.
Dan's Castle can easily support an army of 3,500.  If someone with a small
castle were to declare an army of the same size it wouldn't make much sense.
So I guess I am trying to keep things logical, no?  Big structures - big
numbers.

Logical is good.  Another option is to have "real" armies be better than
"virtual" armies...

I'm also thinking a little bit "period" here as well, where a huge army was
anything more than a couple hundred men...

How about having people's "standing army" be whatever they have 'figs for, and
then let them levy virtual peasant armies if they have a war coming up?

If I'm being too realistic, it's the SCAdian in me...
;)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

Hello,

I'm with James, Armies were small in the 10-1200's, It would be very rare to
reach some 3500 men in one army. My castle which is to scale is 8x8 feet or so
and has a garrison of 550 men. More than enough to handle any siege, as for
dans castle, he too made it to scale pretty much, so there would be no way it
could hold 3500 men. Especially since harlech which had 37 knights held off an
army of 1000's. Castle dont need a lot of men, just quality types, crossbows,
archers, etc.

I think people in your would should have to prove they have such armies so
that way we keep it realistic and not virtual reality. Have them send in
pictures, whatever. This will help the players to have experience of cost and
logistics of having a real lego army to supply.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Lord Nelson