 Castle / 19941
Re: Is this for real?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.duplo
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 11:08:54 GMT

There are enough obviously real Duplo pieces in there (horse, pot, 2*2 and 4*2
bricks, various plates, sloped bricks, ladder, ball) for me to think this is
probably real, and as Mark pointed out the figs in the picture do compare well
with the new Duplo figs already out.  It's very different in style for Duplo,
but quite Lego-ish (cf Harry Potter) and I actually kind of like it (not sure
about that Dragon though!).

Of course it could still be spoofed, but why would you bother trying to con
Duplo fans?  I don't think we're significant enough to really be worth the
effort and toddlers wouldn't even notice! :)

Castles seem to be the "thing" amongst 2 - 10 year olds at the moment.
Fisher-Price have just expanded their Imaginext castle line and even brought out
a Little People castle line, and I've seen other brands about as well.  Both my
kids are castle mad (my 2 year old constantly plays with & runs off with bits of
her 8 year old brother's Lego and Imaginext castles), so I could see something
like this being a real hit at Christmas.

The big problem for Lego will be pricing it competitively against the other
brands - I personally saw Lego lose out to F-P's Imaginext castle countless
times last Christmas and that was against the quite steeply discounted (& hence
pretty good value) Knight's Kingdom and Hogwart's castles available here in
Australia at the time.

Deidre