 Castle / 19739
Re: A Tree (New pictures)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:18:04 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Christian Treczoks wrote:
OK, as you properly guessed, the core parts of the tree are Plates 1x3
(3623) and Plant Leaves 6x5 (2417). Other parts needed are Plates 1x4
(3710), Plates 1x1 round (4073), Technic Plate 1x4 with Holes (4263) and
finally Arches 1x5x4 (2339)
A sidebranch ist started with a 4263, two 4073, two 3710, a 3623 and a
2417. The Use of the 4263 technik plate allows for a little flexibility,
not as much as the 2417 allow, but sufficient to avoid straight
constructions:
This sidebranch is mounted to a main branch in the same manner as a
singular 2417.
The branches are built & bent to fit and fill the available space as
good as possible (as a tree grows its branches to get most of the light).
And now about the numbers:

I haven't counted them, but a good guess would be that the tree contains
about 800 leaves 2417 and about 1500 plates 1x3. Throw in 30 or
40something arches 2339 and a few handful of the other parts.

The 800 leaves should be quite accurate, because I had about 350 of the
leaves in "used" and bought another 500 as "new" for this project, and
had a little more than a handful of leftovers. An order of 1000 plates
1x3 easily went just into extending the branches after the main trunk
was finished (A technique I would not repeat - build the branches as big
as they should be in the first place, and avoid the hassle of adding
more substance afterwards!).
Yours, Christian

I've experimented, particularly with branching.  A real tree probably branches
at a smaller angle than 90 degrees, so I built a structure from your pictures
and altered it slightly.

Whewre a sub-branch starts, replace the two 1x3 plates on the main branch with
1x4s, keeping the sub-branch closest to the trunk and putting the next main
branch 1x3 on the end as usual, leaving a hole on the 3rd stud of the 1x4 plate.
Remove the 1x1 round plates from the Technic plate and squeeze the branches
together - they should go to about 60 degrees, forming a Vee shape, when the
technic plate hits the stud of the 1x4 plate on the main branch.

Now make sure that the next leaves on each branch are on the outside of the Vee,
and continue alternating as before.  This will leave a hole with no greenery in
the Vee between the branches but I think this is realistic.

I made a branch with two sub-branches, total 12 leaves.  A tree made of these
would be 46ft (14m) diameter!  At the moment I can't manage more than one more
branch that size, but I'll start with smaller trees, probably 2 or 3 leaves per
branch.  I want some trees about 20ft high (50 plates) to start with and we'll
see how the stock of leaves goes.

I see enough leaves for 3 of your trees are available on Bricklink.  It'll cost
you about $900 though!!!

Mark