 Castle / 1907
Re: Character Subcategories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:24:46 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Stuart Curtis writes:
In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
Seeing as the list of characters will prove to be extensive, what would be a
good way to categorize it (similiar question to structures)?  My thoughts on • the
general segregation so far are:

<snip>

Pawel, while that list certainly contains all the general character types of
any good fantasy roleplay game, I think that there is possibly too much room
for crossovers.

An excellent point.

Wouldn't it be simpler to really narrow the groups down into, say, Peasants and
Servants, Villagers of Import (shopkeepers, magistrates, etc.), Soldiers (of
whatever Royal allegiance), Royalty, and Adventurers, and then you can
categorise any character within those groups as an Outlaw, Magic-user, or
whatever.

Hmm...well, arranging them geographically would be the easiest way, but I
think that Pawel was also pondering a 'master list'.  Maybe there should
be a recognized set of 'keywords' and then, well, basically a database of
characters.  That way you could say, 'show me all the entertainers' or
'show me all the innkeepers' or even (if you wanted to program this much
detail into it) 'show me all the left-handed stable boys under the age of
16'.  I think that would be the best and most useful.

The 'master list' of keywords would be important because it would let
people know what there eas to search.  Often the problem with keyword
searches is that people think differently, and where I might be searching
for 'noble', some other people might have used 'nobility' or 'royalty'...

Oh, and with a keyword-type system, each character could have multiple
keywords - so if you have a wandering minstrel who just happens to be the
king of a nation travelling incognito, he could show up under
'entertainers', 'wanderers', and 'royalty'.

What would be excellently cool would be having a database of characters
much like the Pause set database, which would generate the actual pages
on the fly.  Then you could have a page for each character, with a
picture, vital statistics, and links to other people they are connected
with and the country they are from.

I'm not sure how the Pause database works or if the host of this site
would be allowed by his ISP to have such a thing, but it's something to
look into...