 Castle / 1850
1849  |  1851
Subject:
Customs (was Re: Finally, I have a page!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 05:18:47 GMT

I'd like to congratulate you on your great designs, Shiri.  I had just been
itching to get a 2000 black castle maiden hat for one of my witch's.  And I
did exactly what you did with it -- I put it on a witch's torso and skirt,
although I guess you might have turned the torso printing towards the back
whereas I did not. And where you used a modified Jet head, I have used a
Paradisa open-mouth head (Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge -- Know what I mean?).

Great figure though...

And as far as your storyline goes, I'm all into it.  I am very keen to see you
further develop your apparent matriarchy, but I have to admit that I am not
sure why I was supposed to know that the Queen was the dominant ruling
figure.  Tell us more, tell us more...

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
Craig told me how he changed his and I couldn't resist the temptation...

Craigo, brilliant as he is, got this particular idea concerning Jet's head
from me.  And I think I have enough interest in lego customs to assert my
place in it (although I think children the world over have their own methods
of modifying lego and have already beat us all to it). See my "Sexy Witches"
and "Just the Heads" at:

http://members.aol.com/blueofnoon/lego/lego.htm

For more than a year now I have been doing minor modifying with a fine tipped
x-acto and even some minor drawing in with black and red Sharpies (the ultra
fine points).  The first head in the "Just the Heads" pic on my site was drawn
with a sharpie with an obvious nod to the design of the dark forest boy head
(this head appears again in the pic "Scarecrow and Colonist"), and the last
head is a heavily modified Willa head.  If you take a close look at Jet's
modified head, I did more than merely remove the mike -- I drew in the rest of
the lips at the corner. This is a necessary detail in my view, and I highly
recommend this addition to your own custom Jet head.

I was also carving bricks from the first (see my wings attachment at the page
noted above).  And while initially shocked and repelled at the idea of carving
an element, Craigo has taken it to a new level with his skull cap and
hunchback figures. As a professional artist, He has also refined other aspects
of the craft by introducing the right tools to the subject: Marvy Uchida paint
pens, and Design Master spray paints. I might personally add that the tool kit
is incomplete without a Dremel power tool -- but this might be a matter of
opinion.

Giving credit where credit is due, and if memory serves: I guess its time to
clear up who created the lego pumpkin head! If you look at Craig's site:

http://community-1.webtv.net/anonymouseye/craigolego/

You will note that there is an award for the Willa the Witch pic.  This emblem
contains a CAD lego pumpkin head that Craigo and I were both keen to make a
part of our lego worlds. My assumption is that it was designed by Matthew
Verdier, but I am not positive. So Craigo and I were talking about how to make
this pumpkin head and I think my came first as an inked and modified skull,
while Craigo did a better job with acrylics (I think?).  Craigo used this very
pumpkin head in the picture with which he won the award mentioned above.
Anyway, whoever did the CAD pumpkin deserves the credit for designing the
pumkin head -- its simple and therefore brilliant!  Without this crucial piece
I wouldn't have either my Mr. Pumpkin or my Headless Horseman minis...both all
too easy once you have the pumpkin element!

I think customizers generally agree that the best modifications are those
where the least modifying has occurred -- that is those that rely more on the
right combination of interchangeable elements than on reaching for blades or
paints to achieve the desired effect.  That said, there is nothing at all
wrong in altering an element you can't stand or that just desperately needs it.

Lastly, customizers unite!  We have to get Todd to give us a subcategory.

-- Richard