 Castle / 15877
Re: The Castle Game
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:54:22 GMT

  SNIP

   Hi,

  The most important suggestion (to me)
I would like to make is to please allow
room during this design faze, and in the
game, for people, like myself, who don't
want to meet monsters or magic.

No magick? As in, no curative or offensive
spells in combat? I would say some forms
of magic would be immediately banned: full party
curing, revival, annihilation spells, all
enemy party spells, teleportation/ phasing,
and invincibility. Any of the above would
cause technicalities and give wizards or
acolytes too far of an advantage. I would
also ocnsider banning sleep, paralysis or
stone spells as well...they would give the
GM a headache.

As for monsters, encounters would probably
be restricted to three types of enemies
travelling from 'nests' scattered about the
map. Diplomatic aren't a perceived threat
unless you deem them to, nonaggressive don't
fight unless provoked, and aggressive attack
without provocation. Encounters with powerful
monsters would only occur in the worst of
regions, which are sparsely populated. (like
swamps, barren fields and forests.)I think
an invisible border would be drawn on where
enemies can migrate, but only the GM could
see it.

I want to play, I would just like to stay
human. To clarify: I have no prob with
everyone else in the game having monsters and
magic I would just like to avoid it. For
example, when I am due to be attacked by
the game masters monsters make it a stray
tribe of wild men.

Ah, I see...you want more interesting
scenerios besides the standard 'monster
encounter'. That would be a matter you'd
need to take up with the GM. (but I'm
sure that wouldn't be a problem...and
would make for an interesting report.)

   Well, not exactly. I would like to be able to play without using magic
myself (any form) or encountering it. It isn't that I want something more
interesting so much as I really prefer historical. My idea on this is that
on entering the game (no other time) a player can choose to either have the
use of magic, creatures, etc, or choose to have a block of all such things
on his grid square at all times. I think this would also add more depth, eg
player 1 has really strong wizards and all the spells in the list you are
drafting. He destroys all the people he meets using mainly magic then
suddenly he steps on the grid square I occupy (and therefor can't use magic)
and realizes his team isn't that well rounded : )

SNIP

-Second. Do the owners of MMs get any
benifit (money) form the buyers? If it
is based around the MM I would like to
use my stores (or get something for
them).

Very interesting idea. I'd guess after a
character purchases the items from a GM
(visiting an MM) some of the funds would
be given back to the owners.

   I would like to see a lot more revenue based around the MM. Also I think
this would help a lot with missions being given by people in the game. Eg I
sell apples in my green grocer, when I have sold my stock I offer a set sum
(game money of course) for more, then some adventurer goes out to find them
and get his take. (sub anything you want for apples). Some of these might be
easy quests (apples), some hard (jewels).

-Third. If the above is used could you
become an investor rather then an
adventurer (change of pace and depth)?
eg I support some expedition with my
earnings in hope of finding gold, a new
product, a trade root, etc. Then I can
open new shops accordingly (after we
reach a good number of starter stores
of course).

A character to invest in expeditionary
parties that are low on funds? Well,
this might be interesting, but what
would the rules be on this? Should it
be within the rules to have a character
stay in one location while others
work for him? This might be a whole
discussion in itself, but might work
for characters who are foreigners.
(and arrive at an area to seek
patronization.) Nice thought.

     Well I think this would be nifty. I think the best aspect of this would
be discovering new products.

       God Bless,

             Nathan