 Castle / 15755
Re: Brainstorming ideas for Game Project....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:06:14 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John P. Henderson writes:

Trying to catch up on this thread, but running out of time to post right
now.  Gonna go quick...

Another suggestion:  How about a third type of monster: Diplomatic.  Thus,
Non-Aggressive would be like elk, Aggressive would be like wolves, but
Diplomatic would be monsters with enough intelligence to allow communication
and a chance for diplomacy before deciding whether they are aggressive (I
think this is the type that would include Dragons as well as other
intelligent creatures).

Ahh...how did I pass that up?! Okay...sounds
interesting enough as is, so that should be
supportable.

Maybe certain magics or skills might be useful in communicating with certain
Diplomatic types.  A dragonrider might need to know the language of Draconic
for example.

Skills only...only certain character types,
like mercantalists could communicate. (they
possess the diplomatic skills to communicate
with creatures, and lead the party anyhow.)

The report idea is a good one, similar to the action emails in Starship.
The difficulty will be in how many players are sending reports and how often
they are sending them.  A single Game Master could get swamped.  (This is
why the norm in SS is to expect at least a week before a mediator responds.)

Similar, but not an emulation. I decided
why not integrate both storytelling and
a quest over view into one? It should be
appealing even to non players, even though
its purpose is greater than that.

I would almost steer clear of the hit point idea, simply because it makes
the whole game sound like D&D with Lego figures.  I run a D&D campaign on
twice a month and do use Lego, but the game you are creating is not D&D and
you should promote the parts of it that A) make it more original, and B)
make it more connected to the brick hobby.

No...not at all...I don't really want to
emulate D&D...

Of course, I'm not working with hit points,
but rather points of armor. You can have two
people, nearly opposite. (a mage and a warrior)
but they'll still be the same without armor.
(it doesn't matter the strength of someone
when they're shot with a musket or stabbed.
They still have an equal chance at death.)
That's why I decided to go along with armor.
Strength is basically dependent on the type
you decide to wear, and based on your class,
that would be attributed. (if you're a wizard
or vagrant, you're need light equipment for
manueverability on the field, conversely, a
knight would wear heavy equipment, and
swordsmen/ mercantalists wearing modestly
strong defenses.)

Okay, I've never played D&D, so my
opinion about the 'originality factor'
wouldn't be as seasoned as an
afficionado. But where do you suggest
I'm taking the idea? (using lego figures
as miniatures? (so assuming this is the
idea, you can also say brickwars and
heroclix, star wars figures games, etc
are stealing from D&D?)
Or simply the reporting
idea?) This faction version is meant to
be played online, while DraKen is a
simple war game. (in which a GM is ONLY
employed if a character suggests so.)
Okay, how could it not be more connected
to the brick hobby? It uses lego
figures, lego bricks for background,
lego creatures as enemies, pieces as
weapons, how much more *can* it get
connected to the brick hobby? Heck,
even building structures involves *gasp*
lego pieces...

When I intended it to be lego oriented,
I wasn't kidding. There are some great
differences between uldeseen and DraKen,
as Draken isn't on a fixed rule basis.

If I had to vote right now, I would go with a modified version of the Armor
Point system mentioned above.  Yes, AP and HP should be one thing.  Call it
DC (damage capacity).  A character's DC might be based on their Strength
attribute.  And then it can be further modified in-game by armor or magic.
But modified or not, if the DC drops to zero, the character dies.  Other
creatures, items, and even structures could be assigned DCs also.  That is
my simplified suggestion.

Mofified? How? Both qualities have been
coalasced, but I'm still calling it AP.
(for the sake of not going backwards to
edit every page on my site.) As you
suggested earlier, keep it simple, so
I'm not going to bother with magic
defense at all. Regardless of the attack,
it's going to affect Ap. And no, I've
decided not to go along with magic
points either. (tracking numbers might
be hopelessly reduncant, which is why the
only value you really need to know is
the character's current Ap.)

Oh, and yes, Temples, acolytes, etc. should provide healing to wounded
characters.  They might also sell potions, and maybe offer other magical
services (though nothing too powerful, that should be reserved for the elite
NPCs).

Definitely...what town wouldn't have the
service to facilitate the wounded? (would
make a nice business for industrious
characters, eh? :)

Just offering my thoughts so far...

Interesting ideas...thanks.