 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 764
Re: New Website - More LEGO Desktop Themes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 06:45:32 GMT

darrellk wrote:

Let me just say that the composition and lighting on these are wonderful.
I've been waiting for something like this for a long time...
Now that I've buttered you up, would you be willing to share the source file
from one of those? I have bryce and would love to use the brick in future
bryce renderings (maybe just to slip in there as a secret).

Darrell King

"View my Toy Gladiator at:
http://www.toygladiator.com/cards/darrellk_nusinon.exe"

Well, I've been sitting here for the past hour, trying to figure out the
nicest way to say "no". I consider my brick model to be a proprietary
(and very new) art object that I'm not quite ready to part with. I may
publicly release the model at a later date, but until I finish
developing the model and feel that I have personally explored its
possibilities to the extent of my own modeling skills, I would prefer to
keep it to myself. Instead, I encourage you to make your own model in
Bryce; it's really not that hard. I used the brick dimensions Jim Hughes
posted in this message:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=27616

After that it was simply a matter of eyeballing a 2x4 brick and using
some negative objects to construct the booleans. I use a variety of
transparent materials, some of which are very similar to some of the
Glass material presets in Bryce 4. The sky and ground objects are set to
all-white, and I tweak the specularity and diffusion of the ground
object depending on the scene. For the black-background scenes, I add
some light objects above (and below as well for an upcoming scene yet to
be released) the brick model. It's really nothing that complicated.

I'm cross-posting this to lugnet.cad.ray for obvious reasons, and if
someone feels like arguing about intellectual property rights, one of
you compartmentalized dorks can drag it over to off-topic.debate ;)

--

Regards

Micah J. Mabelitini - LUGNET #918
The University of Kentucky
SECC Middlesboro Academic Skills Resource Center
accutron@kih.net - http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/