 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2595
2594  |  2596
Subject:
Raytracing Challenge Entry on behalf of Zach Best
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:26:47 GMT

Posted on behalf of Zach Best

Hello,

I am not a LUGNET member, but I am a loooong time lurker.

Currently I use Vue 5 for rendering purposes. (What I do can be similarly done in Bryce.) The Lego .dat file was converted using LDRAW2LWS (the only non-POV way I have found to add Lego imprints on studs), and then the LWS file was converted to an importable format for Vue using 3dWin5. The only disadvantage is that I cannot get “lines” between the blocks using this method.

The model was not changed and there was no post-processing.

The snow falling was created using a cylinder with a transparency map. Very simple and very quick. The ground snow consists of a plane and three random height maps with a bump mapped texture. Fog was added to increase the “snow at a distance” effect. The three buildings in the background are oversized Lego bricks with an onion dome or 1x1 round dome. The scene was rendered using Global Illumination (because Global Renderosity didn’t seem to add much).

The same could be easily done in POV and probably look better, but I am very rusty at POV and this scene took me about 20 minutes of work.

I enjoyed your challenge, and I can’t wait for another one. Oh yeah, my Brickshelf name is Ravious.

Zach Best