 CAD / LDD / 67
Re: 10183 postponed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:01:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ldd, Jason J Railton wrote:
Unfortunately, LDD 2.0 no longer runs on earlier versions of Windows.  LDD 1.6
ran quite happily under Windows 2000, but the new version crashes as soon as you
place a brick.  It's also a bit mean to write off all the previously uploaded
models.

LDD 1.6 can actually cope with the changed parts palette, and the Factory has
always been able to tell you when it can't supply a model because of missing
parts.  So why the need to impose this incompatibility?

I appreciate it's free software, but it's really a sales leader and this upgrade
is going to alienate some customers.  Maybe they can net new customers by
promoting it, but it's still an unfriendly thing to do.

I'm not saying they should test it on every version of Windows around, but I
think they should have kept compatibility with the LDD 1.6 files.

Actually, from my fooling around with the software so far, I can say that there
is some compatability between LDD 1,6 and LDD 2,0.  When you try to load a file
created with version 1,6 with version 2,0 it asks you if you want to try to
import it.  I have a lot of SNOT construction and some of the tolerences between
parts seem tighter in the new version.  Generally, it looses 2 to 6 bricks on my
models in the process.  The lose is much more dramatic in my series of
boxcars/reefers.  The roofs are made up of tiles mounted on a hinged plate.  The
new software really doesn't like this configuration and it eliminates either the
roof tiles or the edge plates that these tiles touch.  I haven't had a chance to
try out the new hinge feature yet to try and solve this problem.  It looks like
I'll have a lot of updating to do on my models before re-submitting them.

There is no backward compatability.  Files created by version 2,0 can't be read
with version 1,6.

Version 2,0 is a little finicky, especially if you're trying to clip a part or
group of parts beneath an existing assembly.  That can make it hard to modify an
existing model.  Right-clicking on a part centers your point of view on that
part (there was a specific button in the 1,6 version).  If you hold the
right-click button and move your mouse, the point of view moves around your
center.  Once you release it, the point of view stays where it is.  It doesn't
version.  I still have to get the hang of it but this version is mostly better
than 1,6.  Plus all those extra parts like sliding doors, train doors and
windows, flex-tubing and textured 1 x 2 bricks in other colors that grey makes
it a plus for me.

Daniel Aubin.