 CAD / LDD / 240
Re: Does LDD's LDraw importer actually work?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:13:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ldd, Allen Smith wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ldd, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ldd, Allen Smith wrote:
I recently had a Bricksmith user write asking for help importing an LDraw
file into LDD. (He was using LDraw because LDD made it very difficult to
build his model.) But when he attempts to import the LDraw file, he sees at
most the first brick of the model and nothing else.

I verified this on LDD 3.0.11 for Mac OS X. If I export an LDD file
containing nothing but 2 1x1 bricks not touching each other, LDD produces a
valid LDraw file. Attempting to import said file back into LDD (with no
changes) doesn't work. Sometimes I get only the first brick ready to place;
sometimes I get nothing at all. In no instance do I get any error message;
only the little import-finished bleep noise.

Is this a Mac-only thing? Is it a problem with the latest version? I can't
find any older versions available for download. My e-mail to Lego technical
support hasn't been answered yet either.

Thanks,¬
Allen

I've never had it properly confirmed but I'm fairly certain the problem with
import is that the overlap detection is way too overzealous. Which means
that when you read in a file it decides the parts conflict and can't be
there. It's irritating.

This is the file that LDD exported:

| 0 exported
| 0 Author: LEGO Digital Designer 3.0
| 1 71 -190 -24 -190.0000152587890625 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3005.dat
| 1 14 170 -24 210.0000152587890625 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3005.dat

The two bricks are about 20 studs away from each other, so it's hard to
imagine how it could possibly see any overlap issues there. On import, I get
absolutely nothing except the bleep sound. No bricks, no errors.

FWIW,

1) I run LEGO Digital Designer 3.0.11 under Windows 7

2) I chose Creator Freebuild (shouldn't matter with this test)

3) I executed menu: File | Import

4) Picked exported.dat off my desktop (how I saved this text, using notepad)

(note that I couldn't browse, LDD doesn't recognize .dat as a valid extension,
but will load if it I type that in)

5) The two bricks (MS grey on the left, yellow on the right) are "attached" to
my cursor (this is how imported files come in), and I'm able to place them in
the scene.

Hope this helps,

     -- joshuaD