 CAD / LDD / 220
219  |  221
Subject:
Can anyone get these parts to intersect at right angles in LDD?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:56:28 GMT

To TLG:

I have found that there is a problem with the two gears, which LDD refers to
as "double conical wheel", included in LEGO Factory.  These are described in
the LDD Factory palette as "double conical wheel Z12 1M" and "double conical
wheel Z20 1M".

These two parts cannot be made to line up at right angles in LDD, because
the individual parts have not been programmed in LDD to intersect each other
at right angles.

What I'd like to do is show how fairly simple models could be built that
utilize these parts, unfortunately if they won't line up at right angles I
cannot see how I'm going to get them doing something useful in my models.

To the LUGNET regulars who browse this newsgroup:

Can anyone get these two wheels to line up at right angles on axles so that
they intersect each other and one would drive the other one, in LDD?  I can
get them lined up side by side but it seems that LDD wasn't programmed to
view right angle intersections as being usable for these parts, when it
obviously is.  I've made proof of concept models out of my own stocks of
these parts that prove this is possible to do this using these parts along
with standard LEGO bricks found in the LDD palette.

I've been trying ever since the larger Z20 double conical wheel was
available through the Factory palette in LDD, however, I've had no luck at
all getting them intersecting each other at right angles.

I have written to LEGO Customer Service about these two parts but I have not
recieved any answer back from them other than the automated reply, and that
was some time ago.

The larger issue is that LDD doesn't always allow connections or lining up
parts when it's obviously doable in real life models anyone could build
themselves.  I would like TLG to consider substantial research and
development of LDD's programming to allow virtual representations of
real-life models to be made in LDD by individuals.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde