 CAD / LDD / 193
Re: LDD question - how to rotate pieces?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 04:49:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
In lugnet.cad, David Shifflett wrote:
Hi all,
I am an LDD newbie, and can't for the life of me
figure this one out.

I want to rotate a piece.
How do I do it?

I have 2 16x32 baseplates (side by side)
to make a 32x32.

I want to place 1x8, 1x6, etc tiles
around the 4 edges.

When I insert a new piece it is always oriented
in the same direction.

So I can only get tiles on two of the four edges.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Keep on bricking,
dave

Hi Dave,

Use the arrow keys to rotate pieces.  When you insert a new piece, I believe it
always defaults to the same orientation.  If you want to insert a bunch of
identical bricks with a particular rotation, you can always insert the first one
and rotate it, then make copies of it (press 'C' or hit the copy button; then
click on the brick you wish to copy, and LDD will produce a duplicate brick with
the same orientation).

You can also select and copy multiple pieces by dragging the mouse while holding
down the left button.  This will select anything within the drag-box.  Then
press Ctrl-C to copy and Ctrl-V to insert the copied assembly.  As with an
individual brick, the arrow keys will rotate the assembly also.

As a general tip to beginning LDD users, the key bindings in LDD are very useful
to know.  These are also accessible using the mouse, but by using the keyboard
with the left hand and mouse with the right, one can greatly speed up creation
of models.  The main functions to know are:

C: Copy a single element
V: Select mode (the "normal" mode)
B: Color menu; change the color of an element
Ctrl-X: Delete selected element or assembly
Ctrl-C: Copy selected element or assembly
Ctrl-V: Insert (paste) the copied element or assembly

Hope that this helps!

-Jordan

Jordan,

Thanks. Don't know why I didn't try that key before.
Thanks also for the keyboard shortcuts, I had found some,
but the rest were helpful as well.

The preferences window has a check box for
'Brick Count Show the number of bricks in a box'
but I can't find that display anywhere.
Any ideas where it is, or how to enable it?

By the way, I am doing this on a MAC so
some of the interfaces (keys) are a little different.

dave