 CAD / LDD / 113
Re: Save the 10183 trains!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.ldd, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:04:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jeroen de Haan wrote:
I think TLC should re-think LDD and especially the building instruction side of
it. Higher resolution output (double it and it will look much better), option
for direct PDF output with one step per page (so I can print from Acrobat with
1, 2 or 4 pages per page).
Make printing building instructions fun! Now I think again before printing from
LDD.

Oh, and make the LDraw import/export work.

Jeroen (still happy with the 10183)

In working with LDD, I've found a couple of tricks. First, even in the
instruction mode you can change your viewpoint to see the bricks that have
appeared (a "highlight new bricks" feature in the instructions would be nice
though... maybe by making everything that isn't new semi-transparent). You can
also skip the instructions all together and just delete parts as you add them to
your physical model (obviously doing so to a copy, keeping an unmodified version
of the file aside).

That said, I personally think the tight bundle between 10183 and LDD has a few
tactical errors. First, the fact that you need a newer computer, need to figure
out a new piece of software, etc. will eliminate/frustrate many potential users.
Second, without printed instructions it is not as good a gateway set for the
A-future-FOL compared to 10020 and 10133. I think the learning curve is a lot
steeper for someone who isn't a lego fanatic but wants to build a realistic
train (a problem that has cropped up at several train shows already). Third, the
tie to LDD has reduced the rarity of the pieces, so fewer people will buy the
set to part out (red train doors anyone?). I think they should have released the
set in one color scheme and made the pieces available on LDD in a different
color scheme (although mind you, I like the fact that I don't need to buy a
bunch of red brick to get the parts I want).

I don't mean to carp, it is a great set. And those new AFOLs who do surmount the
learning curve will likely be better builders because of it (less likely to stay
between the lines). But if my assessment of the tactical errors is accurate, I
sure would hate to see Lego use sales of this set to determine the fate of 9v
trains.

Finally, if Lego doesn't want to produce a DVD of instruction pdfs (which is
understandable), I would encourage them to put together an online demonstration
video providing many more tips and tricks for working with LDD then the very
short html help file.

Benn

PS, Jeramy, if you are reading this, hopefully the models from your brickworld
competition will be made public and provide that much more fodder for folks to
buy 10183.

PPS, and what about 10 years from now when LDD 2.0, Vista, OS-X, etc. have long
since been superceded? How do you go back and build the alternate models?