Re: New rule for SOTM/MOTM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2007 14:35:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Timothy Gould wrote:

We will now only run
these contests if there are a minimum of five entries. The current situation has
seen too many two or three entry contests which we think are a little too small.

I suggest contest entries be accepted via an upload form on the LDraw.org web
site.

Personally, I found the large list of contest rules somewhat overwhelming (some
36 bullet points for MOTM/SOTM alone). In fact, although I have created many
LDraw models and have long been aware of this contest, I did not enter until
this rule change because it seemed like such a hassle to make sure my entry
conformed to all the requirements.

However, many of the rules are not about model, scene, or part eligibility -
they are about the format of the submission: what information should be included
in the entry email, how the submission's file name should be formatted, what the
subject of the entry email should be, and so on. An entry form would make all
these requirements implicit (you wouldn't be able to submit the form unless all
fields had been filled out), and the body of actual rules could be pared down to
a few clear points about what kind of models are allowed.

If attracting more contestants is a genuine concern, I think it is important to
appeal to the casual user - someone who uses LDraw for fun, but doesn't follow
these newsgroups and has no interest in the administrative end of the system. I
suspect that for many of us who participate in both aspects of LDraw, it is easy
to forget that although it is both a development project and a way to play with
LEGO, for many people it is only the latter.

Encouraging those casual users to participate in the contests means maintaining
a focus on building and submitting LDraw models easily. Every distraction is
another opportunity to lose interest in the contest (as I had each month,
previously - and I consider myself relatively interested in things LDraw).

My point is that I think a good entry form would eliminate some of these
perceived obstacles to contest participation. I may be wrong.

Jim