Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Drafts: Call for Public Discussion and Consensus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 02:30:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Allister McLaren wrote:

   I understand that you want to be a member, and that many other agree, and indeed that it would probably bring no harm to Ldraw if you were, but is it necessary? It seems to me that this whole discussion is centred around the issue of whether or not you in particular will be precluded from the committee. Would it be so bad to not be a member, but still an active participant?

I don’t see this discussion as about Tim at all, except as a test case. As I’ve said before, he’s a handy metric. Any rule that excludes him (based on his current employment situation) is wrong, and worse, it is in my view bad for the organization.

Jake put it pretty well, professional and technical organizations are rife with potential conflicts of interest if you look hard enough to find them. What matters are actual ones.

To ignore that and suggest that Tim is merely selfishly insisting on being able to stand for the StC and should stand aside in order to move things forward... is to, I feel, completely miss the point here.

It’s not about Tim. It’s about what’s right for the organization.