Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Drafts: Call for Public Discussion and Consensus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 04:47:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 07:16:41PM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
I think before we take the step of creating a poll, we should allow
this discussion here to flesh itself out and see if we come to a
consensus. That process has worked well before. No one except you has
explicitly disagreed to omitting the clause Larry suggested - so I
think its good to ask outright - does anyone else disagree? Does
anyone care to offer another solution?

I object, for the record.  I think the point isn't if someone can
influence TLC policy, but if they can influence LDraw's policy.  In my
optinion, if you get a paycheck from LEGO, you might have a conflict of
interest.

While I agree that someone in that situation might have such a conflict of
interest, then again,they might not.

It's pretty far fetched to see how someone in Tim's position could possibly have
any conflict of interest (except in a good way for LDraw, and even that's a
stretch)

I think it ought to be a campaign issue, if that. I would support wording that
required full disclosure of who one worked for and that required that any change
in status be disclosed to the membership.

So I note your objection, but I also note that you have not proposed an
alternate wording, unless I missed it.

I'll repeat the pragmatic metric I'm using here. If the wording we arrive at
here excludes Tim from eligibility, given his current employment status, it's
unacceptable to me, and I would vote against ratification.

But that is rather a long way off, I'd rather see if the discussion group is
capable of resolving this issue to everyone's satisfaction.

And if it isn't capable of that? (this speaks to Willie's point) Well, that's
why LDraw needs to move beyond a consensus process to something more formal.