 CAD / Development / 9494
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:48:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Willy Tschager wrote:
again, I do not have the technical background and it would be absolutely
hazardous to make suggestions in that direction but wouldn't the ldconfig.ldr
file be the ideal place for such setting.

No, because you already need the LDRAWDIR environment variable, or
ldraw.ini, or some other OS specific method to find the LDRAW directory.
And since directory paths have filesystem dependent quirks, it's probably
best to keep them out of ldconfig.ldr.

the color meta discussion shows that the ldconfig.ldr will inevitably
become a container for general settings. why
having two distinct files for general system settings?

That's a good question.  The best reason I can think of is that ldraw.ini
is specific to Windows, whereas ldconfig.ldr is specific to LDRAW programs.

I think that in general it would be a bad idea to put anything like this in
ldconfig.ldr.  The reason is that this file is distributed with parts updates,
so shouldn't contain anything specific to your particular system.  Otherwise you
have to re-add your changes every time you get a parts update.

--Travis Cobbs