 CAD / Development / 9493
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:56:11 GMT

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
I agree, however I'd like to point out that you could have started a
discussion here, before inventing your own personal solution.  That's
what this forum is for.

Ok right, but when I start discussing new features I'm going to implement
there will be a much bigger delay in new
MLCad version than we have now. The problem is that my time for MLCad is
rather small, and I would like to
spend my spare time for MLCad instead of doing discussions about what to
implement and how to implement.

Bad sign is, that since we started discussions about new features to be a
standard, we got definitly less output
of new features than befor. In the early days someone started a new feature,
used it, made its function public
and others hopped on. This worked great. Beside that I don't feel we are a
huge company which need a lot of
overhead on discussing hows things are working instead of doing - from that
I have enough in my daily job.
(Sorry but I get frustated slowly because the same thing is happening in the
company I employed at the moment)

Getting back to your example, I have some questions.  Are all of those
paths relative to the LDRAWDIR?  Do you allow absolute paths?  Is the
directory containing the model file allowed to be moved around in the
SCAN order?  How would you specify that?

Yes the paths are relative, absolute paths are not forseen at the moment,
but it wouldn't be a big deal to make them absolute or to even mix them.
You can move any of the directories arround however you like, and I must
ommit I didn't think about the current model directory. It would be possible
to add this feature in as e.g. SHOW [PROJECT-DIR] where the thing would be a
keyword. The problem is just that this path is known only after the
model has been saved once, if you save it under another name in a different
location it would change, and not find anything there anymore.

My approach here was to say that sub-models of a project shouldn't have any
official names anyway, but if there is one than I would assume that it would
be
an unofficial part, to be replaced by a official part once available. The
project path itself is currently the last one in the search.

Michael